Is FreeNAS for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbeard

Cadet
Greetings!

I'm replacing my old TrendNet NAS, and happened to get myself a HP wx8600 dual xeon server, ready to go, 2+2 disks in RAID, 5th disk for system, 32GB ECC RAM, the works. I've installed FreeNAS 9.3 on it, since magazines and geeks out there say "just use FreeNAS". But seeing the forum and diving a bit in, I'm getting second thoughts.
Thing is, my power bill won't like having a lump like that chugging along all the time, so I plan on using it as a backup solution, and mirror my data between my FreeNAS and a Windows 8 mediacenter PC I have. Simple setup, really, just a share on each machine and manually once per month do the mirror (later, when I grow up I might set it to do so automatically, or even run it continuously, should need arise).
I'm saving stuff like photos, movies, my music collection and various documents. Your standard home stuff.

I'm 25 years into Windows / DOS, have tinkered with Linux and hold a degree in engineerings. So I might get the FreeNAS to run, shares 'n all. But from my Linux days I've learned that remembering what on earth is going on is much easier if you fiddle with things on a regular basis.

My question is this: If I get the thing up, heave it onto a shelf and turn it on and off every month, and don't use FreeBSD for anything else, will my data be safe?
What level of fumbling does it take to kill the data, and what should I do in case of various emergencies? I can think of disk failure or configuration fumble, but finding Ultra-Noob-Friendly guides in this land of giants is not easy (sorry all).

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
If I get the thing up, heave it onto a shelf and turn it on and off every month, and don't use FreeBSD for anything else, will my data be safe?
For the most part... However, it is better to have scheduled SMART Tests (Short and Long) as well as Scrubs. So the "once a month" idea would not fit that entirely.

If the "use-case" is truly for just to back data up to on a monthly basis (and you don't want it on all the time); it may just be easier for you to use those drives via an external USB 3.0 to SATA connection and RoboCopy or Sync the data. After that; just shelve the drives until your next routine.

Not trying to dissuade you; but even with FreeNas the suggestions are to always have a backup of the data. So since it doesn't sound like you are wanting/needing the other benefits of FreeNas then maybe skipping the middle-ware would turn out as a better scenario for you.

What are you planning to do with the Server if you don't use it for FreeNas? ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I agree with @Mirfster, your use case doesn't seem like a good fit for FreeNAS. The best way to keep a FreeNAS healthy is to have all the routine maintenance activities running on a regular basis, with email alerts properly configured for early warning of problems. If the system is powered down most of the time, none of that can happen.

Flatbeard

Cadet
Thanks so far...

Cutting to the core, I probably need a standard NAS that doesn't need a lot of power to run - a box that just shares disks and do nothing more. Thing is, 1. data safety, and 2. money. The HP Server Monster came to me free, and a RAID NAS will cost me.

So, either I'm looking at buying a standard NAS with raid (whiiine!! moneeey!!!), or build an atom based system with the disks and whatever I have lying around ... but then: what OS to replace FreeNAS, to do NAS stuff and not heaps of other industry-class fly-to-the-moon server stuff? Linux? (Sorry if it's OT).

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Well, it sounds like priorities have changed. IMHO nothing out there compares to FreeNas. So with that said, perhaps the easiest thing would be to sell that HP Server (eBay or other method) and then use the money to purchase the desired/proper hardware?

gpsguy

While I agree with the other two gents, it can be done, if you are deligent with SMART tests and scrubs. And, analyzing the results.

For example, before backing it up, you run long SMART tests on all the drives. When it's done, look at the results. After doing so, launch a scrub. After it finishes, look at the results. Assuming all clear, go forward with the backup and shutdown the server. Next month, rinse and repeat.

If your server has hardware RAID, don't use it. It will cause problems. For your 4 drives, I'd use a RAIDz2 configuration.

By the way, how old do you need to be a grownup - "later, when I grow up"?

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks so far...

Cutting to the core, I probably need a standard NAS that doesn't need a lot of power to run - a box that just shares disks and do nothing more. Thing is, 1. data safety, and 2. money. The HP Server Monster came to me free, and a RAID NAS will cost me.

So, either I'm looking at buying a standard NAS with raid (whiiine!! moneeey!!!), or build an atom based system with the disks and whatever I have lying around ... but then: what OS to replace FreeNAS, to do NAS stuff and not heaps of other industry-class fly-to-the-moon server stuff? Linux? (Sorry if it's OT).
Have a look at nas4free, openmediavault, or unraid

Flatbeard

Cadet
By the way, how old do you need to be a grownup - "later, when I grow up"?
In this forum I consider myself severely juvenile for not running half a server farm, or knowing what all the abbreviations mean - my areas of lacking expertise is clearly shown here, so I'm just tryin' to be humble...

Have a look at nas4free, openmediavault, or unraid
Interesting, thank you, will do.

In addition to the above suggestions, Ubuntu Server with webmin is a combination I happen to like.
Also, thanks for this one. Linux somehow eludes me, though, and not having a graphical interface generally puts me in "I wonder if things are okay"-mode... I can never tell. One geek will then say "oh things are fine now", and when things break down, he'll go "oh, why didn't you check the log and search for cron failure" ... and I go "wut?". Another geek will turn the world half way upside down for me (geeks are always surprisingly helpful) and install heaven and hell on the server, making it spin perfectly for two years - and then, when the thing goes down, everything is surely lost because noone knows what on earth he did to it, including himself.

Maybe I really should sell the thing and buy an off-the-shelf home NAS.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
not having a graphical interface generally puts me in "I wonder if things are okay"-mode
That's what webmin is for, to provide a browser front end for server administration. I use it on all my VMs. Of course, you can run Ubuntu Desktop as a server if you want, it just consumes more resources. But I'm not here to sell you on Ubuntu, or any other Linux...

RSVP

Explorer
I would choose an option that has better material to teach yourself with if your not already an expert with Freenas. Those that started on earlier versions seem to have evolved with the updates and are very knowledgeable but there seems to be a big gap of info that makes you dependant on the quality of this community for advise. Most solutions to question you search for will yield results for earlier version and are no longer applicable. For newer versions, your beholden to these forums where constructive help is as common as the the opposite of that. It might lead you to not wanting to even ask. There must be better options with learning material available and updated with helpful examples and resources in the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.