Is FreeNAS Displaying the Correct Amount of Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

russdyer

Dabbler
I have 4x2TB under RAIDZ1 which should give me about 5.3GB but FreeNAS is only showing that I have 3.4GB.

Here is my zPool Status and it shows raidz1:

attachment.php

And here is my storage screen:

attachment.php

Notice how my "/mnt/volume1" is only 3.4GB but it lets me great a 4TB datasheet for "Movies"? No matter what changes I make in size to datasheets, it never says that I exceeded storage or anything.

Did I do something wrong where it's not showing me the correct amount of storage or not giving error messages when I try to exceed storage? And why isn't this showing 5.3 GB for zRaid1 with 4x2GB drives?

Thanks,
Russ

russdyer

Dabbler
By doing the zpool status -v shows that it is raidz1 with no errors. just not sure why it's not showing properly. I should say that it used to show properly, but the usb drive died and i rebuilt it and auto imported the volume. I don't know if there is anything else that needs to be done after importing to make the size show properly.

Same here: pool of 10*2TB drives in RAID-z2, but a reported size of 13,6 TB where I expected 8*1,81=14,5 TB

ProtoSD

MVP
Psycho_Bartje,

Your problem is different than Russdyer, and actually closer to normal, though I can't give you the details.

Russ has a Raidz1 that is behaving like a Raidz2 with a much larger loss of space.

Saeed A Siddiki

Dabbler
same thing here - can someone unravel the mystery of MISSING SPACE please pretty please

my situation:
The hard drives are the regular run of the mill in these capacities - green drives and one WD Blue Drive:

4 X 1TB * = *4
3X 2TB*= *6
2X 3TB *= *6
1X * 750GB = *750 GB *

TOTAL TO = 16TB physical*
-3tb overhead (in theory)

i should end up at least with at least 12 TB OR 10TB ---

BUT WHATS SHOWING under

RAIDZ IS 5.6TB*and

under RAIDZ2 5.3TB
(i still don't have REAL DATA stored on this volume yet)

Saeed A Siddiki

Dabbler
4 X 1TB * = *4 all WD Green
3X 2TB*= *6 all WD Green
2X 3TB *= *6 2 WD Blue drives
1X * 750GB = *750 GB *

bollar

Patron
same thing here - can someone unravel the mystery of MISSING SPACE please pretty please

my situation:
The hard drives are the regular run of the mill in these capacities - green drives and one WD Blue Drive:

4 X 1TB * = *4
3X 2TB*= *6
2X 3TB *= *6
1X * 750GB = *750 GB *

TOTAL TO = 16TB physical*
-3tb overhead (in theory)

i should end up at least with at least 12 TB OR 10TB ---

BUT WHATS SHOWING under

RAIDZ IS 5.6TB*and

under RAIDZ2 5.3TB
(i still don't have REAL DATA stored on this volume yet)

RAID-Z2 can only use the space on each drive equal to the smallest drive in the array, so in very round numbers, I would expect the total available space in your pool to be 10*750-750-750= 6TB for RAID-Z2. Considering overhead and formatting, what you report doesn't seem that far off.

Saeed A Siddiki

Dabbler
thanks bollar for that - and sorry everybody for re-posting stuff -- Bollar: is there a way to better the utilization here? or i am i to just go with this and expand a new zpool later as things get needier?

Stephens

Patron
Read the FreeNAS documentation and noobsauce80's ZFS primer (linked to in his signature). You're asking too many basic questions that are covered already.

bollar

Patron
thanks bollar for that - and sorry everybody for re-posting stuff -- Bollar: is there a way to better the utilization here? or i am i to just go with this and expand a new zpool later as things get needier?

Assuming you have ten slots total, then this is the best you can do until you replace the 750 with something larger.

I agree with the suggestion to review noobsauce80's ZFS primer as he illustrates this nicely, but one thing you could consider is to create a five drive ZRAID-2 VDev with the 3-2TB and the 2-3TB. That will give you ~ 6TB (5x2-2-2). Then you could create a second ZRAID-2 VDev with the remaining drives (5x750-750-750 = 2.250TB) and add it to the same zpool. This will give you very roughly 8TB, and possibly a faster array because this will behave similarly to a RAID60. It will also be more flexible, as you only need to upgrade the drives in a single VDev to increase the entire zpool. However, you should be aware that these two VDevs are permanently bound together, so you will always have four drives dedicated to redundancy and this will limit the overall array's maximum size to 6x the largest drives you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.