is 32GB of ram enough for home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndboost

Explorer
Slowly putting together my new FreeNAS build..

was going to go with the following build:
  1. SuperMicro X9SCM-F,
  2. 32GB DDR3 (8gbx4)
  3. Xeon LGA 1155 chip of some sort.
  4. IBM M1015 JBOD Mode
I got to thinking though, since ZFS is so memory hungry is 32GB sufficient for my space requirements? Ill eventually be running 6 or 4 2TB WD Reds. Given that model.. 8GB + 12GB = 20GB~

Usage is mostly streaming bluray rips, a torrent seedbox, and daap server.

I began to look at the newer super micro boards that have 6x or 8x ddr3 slots. such as the X9SRA which is LGA 2011 and supports up to 256GB of memory..

The cost difference (not including memory) is about $200 between CPU and Motherboard..

Probably way overkill. Thoughts?

That also being said, when it comes to picking a CPU.. now knowing my usage do you think i really need quad core $200+ xeon cpu? Given that the above newer board is overkill, i think id rather get a mid grade $100-$180 CPU and the X9SCM-F and sink the money into a spare disk.

Storage Questions
I know ZFS works best in multiples of 2.. 2x 4x 6x 8x.. I have 8 slots available. Like i mentioned i was planning on going 8x2TB but this doesnt leave me a hot-spare. Should i instead plan on 6x2TB and have two hot-spares? or Is the performance hit with 7x2TB not that noticeable?

titan_rw

Guru
32 gigs of ram should be enough.

And 'optimal' zpools are when the number of data disks is a 'power' of two, not a multiple. For a stripe this would be 2,4,8, etc. For raidz1 it would be 3, 5, 9, for raidz2 it would be 4, 6, 10.

In your case, I don't see the huge need to abide by this. There won't be enough of a performance difference to notice. With 8 disks, I'd use raidz2. I wouldn't bother with any spares, as they're not truely 'hot' spares, they're more 'warm' spares. You have to initiate the use of a spare. If you have the money, I think it would be a good idea to keep a 'cold' spare in a drawer ready to go. That way if you do have to swap a disk, you have one ready, and don't need to wait for an rma, or shipping times.

Spares definitely do have their uses, even in their current 'state'. If the server is remote, and getting access to it is problematic, or costly, then having a spare spinning and ready to go can let you fix a failed drive remotely, then leisurely replace the hardware later. For home use where physical access to the server is not a problem, I wouldn't bother.

hotalot

Dabbler
First off, I think you have made excelent choices. You are going to be very happy with your server for sure, but I would suggest some changes:

1. SuperMicro X9SCM-F

Excelent, but why not have its direct sucessor the X10SL7-F?

2 . 32GB DDR3 (8gbx4)

Excelent again... - just remember to buy ECC ram.

3 . Xeon LGA 1155 chip of some sort.

LGA 1150 if you go the X10 route.

4. IBM M1015 JBOD Mode

Marvelous, but if you go with the X10SL7-F you won't need it, the board already comes with a sas/sata controller.

I got to thinking though, since ZFS is so memory hungry is 32GB sufficient for my space requirements? Ill eventually be running 8x2TB WD Reds. Given that model.. 8GB + 16GB = 24GB~

Usage is mostly streaming bluray rips, a torrent seedbox, and daap server.

More than enough ram to stream media.

I began to look at the newer super micro boards that have 6x or 8x ddr3 slots. such as the X9SRA which is LGA 2011 and supports up to 256GB of memory..

The cost difference (not including memory) is about $200 between CPU and Motherboard..

Probably way overkill. Thoughts?

I think so. For home use you don't really need all that power but, as someone said, overkill is good so let you wallet talk....

Storage Questions
I know ZFS works best in multiples of 2.. 2x 4x 6x 8x.. I have 8 slots available. Like i mentioned i was planning on going 8x2TB but this doesnt leave me a hot-spare. Should i instead plan on 6x2TB and have two hot-spares? or Is the performance hit with 7x2TB not that noticeable?

Raidz2 with 8 disks - 6+2 - is quite good. No need for hot spare, you could have a cold spare though. The rule or having 2, 4 or 8 disks plus parity is meant for big servers, the impact of not following it in home servers is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.