IPMI viewer that is a native application to Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Anyone know of any IPMI viewers (preferably that support console redirect) that is a native application to Windows? I saw someone use one once and I cannot remember the name of it, but I've wanted to try it because using the stupid java applets is getting old. They are buggy and unreliable.

I've searched for this on Google and so far come up empty handed. Everyone seems to complain about how unreliable the java applets are and everyone has various sets of instructions with various workarounds to make things work for their given problem, but I'd like to find a native Windows application to use.

Thanks.

cdgonzalez

Dabbler
Found Supermicro IPMIView referenced on a fairly dated blog but it was tested successful on Java6U31 with Windows 7. I have no experience with the application. http://www.supermicro.com/solutions/SMS_IPMI.cfm

"IPMIView is a GUI-based software application that allows administrators to manage multiple target systems through BMC. IPMIView V2.0 supports Supermicro’s BMCs that adheres to either IPMI v1.5 or v2.0. "

Features include KVM Console Redirection.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, the problem is that IPMIView is also Java, and that's specifically what I'm trying to avoid. Java is being changed with every update, which breaks things like console redirection badly. You're left with updating the IPMI firmware (assuming an update is actually provided) or not upgrade Java. I consider both to be a lose-lose because updates don't seem to be regular and not upgrading Java is a nonstarter for me.

I worked with someone that had a program that was almost exactly like the screenshots of Supermicro's IPMIView (list of computers on the right, features and stuff on the right) and it was amazing. But I can't find it. For some reason I *think* it was actually made by HP or Dell (some big OEM company) and since IPMI is a pretty established standard it happens that the program works on most IPMI controllers out there. Sadly I can't figure out where to find it, who made it, the name, etc. :(

Thanks for trying though cdgonzalez and welcome to the forums. :)

cdgonzalez

Dabbler
Thanks for the welcome, will be posting my NAS build shortly, this forum has been a fantastic resource.

Last edited:

Glorious1

Guru
The only good thing about IPMIview is, being Java, it also works for Mac users. But yeah, still buggy and clunky.
I can't get the console redirect thingy to work at all anymore from the IPMI web interface, but it does work through IPMIview.

fracai

Guru
The best luck I've had is running the viewer for my board inside a Virtual Box instance of Debian. Or just using the non-interactive command line tools. If I could just get a text only stream of the console I'd be happy.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Doesn't IPMI have serial console redirection? I once used it, but it was one of the Java applications, I believe. I imagine there's a way of sending the serial console (I imagine it's SSH) to something other than the stupid Java crap.

Robert Smith

Patron
Intel used to have one (AMT or Intel Manageability Control/Commander); but then they dumped it to open source. Once I found a trojan included with the open source package (Open Manageability Developer Tool Kit---Open Source MDTK), I quit looking into it further. So, if you go that road, be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.