IPMI GUI Virtual Media CD-ROM Image doesn't work

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
I have a new X11SCH with firmware 01.23.07 and BIOS 1.5 (both highest available). I've set up with defaults though a couple of "irrelevant" things were changed (4 second power press to turn off). My problem is I can't get the GUI Virtual Media | CD-ROM Image doesn't do anything.

I've got two CIFS shares set up (one each on my laptop and a TN server). They are both supported as anonymous.

I typed in:

Share Host: <tried IP address, host name, FQDN>
Path to Image: <\<share>\<path>\file
User (optional): <tried blank, guest and valid user>
Password (optional): <tried blank (with blank or guest user) or valid pw for valid user>

Then I clicked on Save then Mount then Refresh Status above. I got the popups I expected but the Device statuses never change from No disk emulation set.

What could possibly be wrong? I've tried lots of .isos and they all behave this way. One in particular I've tried is memtest86 V9.0 ISO (which is UEFI). I've tried rebooting after "mount" and many, many other things. I've read hundreds of google hits and still nothing (though that is where I got the "guest" suggestion and a few other things I've tried).

Frustrating.

I should mention that I COULD try to use the Remote Control | Console Redirection java applet and then attach isos (and USBs) but I don't have java installed and would very much prefer not to install it. Maybe the html console redirect Virtual Media uses java and that is my problem?

Please help
Keith

Glorious1

Guru
I can't tell what you're trying to accomplish. I assume you're typing that text into the IPMI after going to the "Virtual Media" menu and selecting "CD-ROM image". The few times I've had to get a file loaded up this way for a FreeNAS version, I've used instead the "Floppy Disk" option. It can be an image of a CD-ROM. It seems less mysterious.

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
Yes, I'm typing that info into the Virtual Media | CD-ROM Image popup. I'm trying to boot from a .iso image. I think Virtual Media | Floppy is quite a different format from .iso (.ima or .img) and is limited in size. Are you saying you can use Virtual Media | Floppy for a .iso? Can it be larger than 1.44MB?

So my real question is: How do I boot from a .iso file over IPMI. A great example is to boot the TN install/upgrade file.

Keith

Glorious1

Guru
Sorry, I had to check my notes. Apparently the trick is to use the KVM console. I can't get on it in my machine at the moment, maybe because it isn't running. But here's the notes:

Use the .ISO as a virtual install disk. In the KVM Console, choose Virtual Media > Virtual Storage. Logical Drive Type = ISO file, then Open Image and navigate to it. Don’t forget to click Plug In!! Then try booting FreeNAS and get to the boot menu . . .

Edit: I see above you don't want to install java. Then I think your only option is to put the iso on a usb drive and plug it into your FreeNAS. I have instructions for doing that from a mac if that's any help. It's pretty geeky.

Last edited: