ipmi Error - Read failed on byte 2 - ipmi0: KCS error: ff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry L

Dabbler
Hello,
After upgrading from 9.2 to 9.3 I started receiving the following error every few hours:
ipmi0: KCS: Read failed on byte 2
ipmi0: KCS error: ff
My hardware is a dell server (see attached dmsg file for hw info) that already has management software built in. Is is there a way/ should I?/ disable freeness ipmi services to stop the error?

Attachments

• dmsg.txt
    15.8 KB · Views: 282

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've seen this problem before. The answer is basically the ipmi0 device is talking in gibberish and the ipmi.ko doesn't know how to answer. Generally the first answer is update your IPMI to the latest. The second answer is to power cycle the IPMI (this means power cycling the whole system, even the PSU). The third answer is to determine if the IPMI card is even supported. It might not be supported and so it's being detected and then the responses are meaningless to the ipmi.ko driver. ;)

Henry L

Dabbler
I've seen this problem before. The answer is basically the ipmi0 device is talking in gibberish and the ipmi.ko doesn't know how to answer. Generally the first answer is update your IPMI to the latest. The second answer is to power cycle the IPMI (this means power cycling the whole system, even the PSU). The third answer is to determine if the IPMI card is even supported. It might not be supported and so it's being detected and then the responses are meaningless to the ipmi.ko driver. ;)

cyberjock - Thank you for your reply.

I did the full power reset (unplug and all which as not been done in a very long time) and the messages still are generated. I will poke around for an update to IPMI. No errors were generated under 9.2 and now 9.3 the errors are generated so things are pointing to an unsupported IPMI card.

RickH

Explorer
Did you ever come up with a resolution for this?

I have a Dell server that's throwing the exact same errors. The weird part is I can still use the IPMI tool to query system information with no errors; however the console message keeps coming up. I have verified that the IPMI firmware is on the latest version available from Dell.

At the very least, does anyone have a solution for suppressing the console message?

Henry L

Dabbler
Did you ever come up with a resolution for this?

I have a Dell server that's throwing the exact same errors. The weird part is I can still use the IPMI tool to query system information with no errors; however the console message keeps coming up. I have verified that the IPMI firmware is on the latest version available from Dell.

At the very least, does anyone have a solution for suppressing the console message?

Unfortunately not, I have been just living with the error message. I have not noticed any lost functionality.

H.

{HD}

Dabbler
I received the same error today on my SuperMicro running 9.10.1-u4
I had it working with IPMI default user name and password for the SuperMicro then I decided, for security reasons to change the password. When I updated the password in freenas I started receiving this error.
Code:
FreeNAS.local kernel log messages:
> ipmi0: KCS: Read failed on byte 2
> ipmi0: KCS error: 01
-- End of security output --

I tired the few things cyberjock suggested but still receive the error. My IPMI is up to the current version and I believe the SuperMicro Mobo IPMI card is supported.

{HD}

Dabbler
Well, I thought I would update my experience since I received this message again today. I don't know specifically what I did to fix it but after:
Making sure the Network-IPMI options are correct including reentering password
Reboot IPMI Device from the ipmi interface

The messages went away. I hope they stay away for at least another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.