Not open for further replies.

melbournemac

Dabbler
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 24482MB

Hi,

I upgraded to 9.10.2-U3 tonight.
I have debian 8 virtual machines configured via iohyve, of which one is configured to start on boot.

After the upgrade the VM was running and accessible, however it could not access a CIFS share configured on the FreeNAS server. It was complaining about permissions. I attempted
- stop / start the CIFS service
- confirmed the share was available from other machines (not VMs)
- reset the password for user account on FreeNas that the VM uses to access the share

None of these worked. Could not get the share mounted

I then reverted to 9.10.2-U1 * & restored the configuration backup taken before the upgrade to U3
- the VM now has access to the CIFS share

* Pretty sure I made a mistake here as I reverted to Initial-Install. I had to reconfigure network and create a symbolic link for iohyve

So wondering
- any known issue with guests accessing a CIFS share
- The system is currently booted from Initial-Install. Should I change this to Default?

thanks,

Steve

D

dlavigne

- The system is currently booted from Initial-Install. Should I change this to Default?

Yes, as that was whatever version you initially started with.

melbournemac

Dabbler
thanks. reverted to default without issue

Any thoughts on mounting the share?

D

dlavigne

What exact error message do you get when you try to mount the share, and what client operating system version are you using?

melbournemac

Dabbler
Client
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Release: 8.7
Codename: jessie

Error message (from syslog)
Apr 24 05:39:33 deb64vm003 kernel: [ 30.773711] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Apr 24 05:39:33 deb64vm003 kernel: [ 30.774413] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Apr 24 05:39:33 deb64vm003 nm-dispatcher[750]: mount error(13): Permission denied

I'll need to boot from the U3 release to get further error messages. Will try to do this today

thanks,

Steve

melbournemac

Dabbler
Booted back with the U3 release & tested again. Definitely not working

tried different mount options for the CIFS share & got it working. Then updated the /etc/fstab entry, rebooted and the share mounted correctly

The change I made to the mount command in fstab was the removal of ,sec=ntlm

Unsure of the ramifications of this change / or why it it became an issue in U3

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should not be using ntlm. It was removed from samba because it's old and insecure. This happened in U2. Try reading the change log and release notes next time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

melbournemac

Dabbler
Hi SweetAndLow -thanks for the update.

Appreciate if you would point me in the right direction for the change log & release notes. I was was not able to find them on the forum (was thinking they'd be in the announcements or Dev section).

The 9.10.2 user guide has been updated for the U2 release but not U3. The U2 notes show SAMBA had been updated to 4.5.5, however the summary of changes for 4.5.5 doesn't indicate ntlm was removed. I have no idea what version freenas was using before this & therefore in no position to review all the changes made.

regards,

Steve

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi SweetAndLow -thanks for the update.

Appreciate if you would point me in the right direction for the change log & release notes. I was was not able to find them on the forum (was thinking they'd be in the announcements or Dev section).

The 9.10.2 user guide has been updated for the U2 release but not U3. The U2 notes show SAMBA had been updated to 4.5.5, however the summary of changes for 4.5.5 doesn't indicate ntlm was removed. I have no idea what version freenas was using before this & therefore in no position to review all the changes made.

regards,

Steve
https://download.freenas.org/9.10/STABLE/9.10.2-U2/

Here is everything for U2 or you can just search the forums for the 100 other posts of people with the same problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

melbournemac

Dabbler
thanks for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.