iocage jail and snapshots

aschmitz

Cadet
I made a mistake trying to restore files from a snapshot in root dataset of an iocage jail on FreeNAS 11.2. I forgot that the snapshots are only mounted inside the jail, but I was looking for them on the FreeNAS host. While looking for the snapshots in the wrong place, I cloned the dataset for the root of the jail. Now when I bring the jail up and SSH into it, I only see the snapshots since the clone was made. At least I think that's what I'm seeing in the /.zfs/snapshot directory in the root of the jail.

How can I access the earlier snapshots from before the clone? Can I or should I try to remove the cloned dataset?

Thanks

aschmitz

Cadet
Eventually I figured out how to zfs mount a snapshot on the host that had the files I needed. I was able to copy the files back into the right jail and then unmount the snapshot. The jail still only shows the snapshots under /.zfs/snapshots that were made after the clone. I haven't been able to figure out why the earlier snapshots aren't listed there any more. The earlier snapshots now all have names like this:

tank/iocage/jails/cdc/root-auto-20190214.1000-1w-clone@auto-20190214.1000-1w

I don't know how to undo the changes made by my clone mistake.