API - removing datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contributor
A little while ago I posted about irreversibly losing a dataset when the Corral UI did something I didn't expect it to, so I'd appreciate some clarification on FN11 UI behaviour before I press the same button again!

My granddad recently connected his laptop to my network, browsed the network share and subsequently infected both my FN datasets with ransomware, which immediately encrypted all of my files. I've cloned a snapshot of each dataset into a new dataset (the restore function didn't work), so I now have the following datasets.

Data (infected with ransomware)
New_Data (Uninfected clone of Data dataset prior to infection)

Media (infected with ransomware)
New_Media (Uninfected clone of Media dataset prior to infection)

I'd now like to delete the two datasets that are infected. When I press delete, I am warned that this action will subsequently delete all of the associated snapshots. However, can I have some reassurance that it won't delete each of the 'New' datasets, which were cloned upon the soon to be deleted snapshots.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why didn't you just rollback?

Contributor
Why didn't you just rollback?
The rollback option is only available in the UI against one of the most recent snapshots which is also infected. I'm going back to a snapshot on the 9th June

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Delete the infected snapshots and then roll back to the latest un infected one.

Contributor
Delete the infected snapshots and then roll back to the latest un infected one.

Brilliant. I didn't realise that you could only roll back to the most recent snapshot. I deleted all the infected ones, and rolled back to the one I wanted successfully.
Thank you very much.

I love FreeNas for this exact reason. Total data destruction to fully restored, as if nothing ever happened, in just a few minutes. Just brilliant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.