Inwin MS-04 case

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombadog

Cadet
I'm completely new to freenas and to building a NAS. I have a tight space restriction and found this case which size wise is perfect for an ITX build with a requirement for 4 drives. Is there anything ayone can see that is wrong with this case. https://www.in-win.com/en/ipc-server/ms04#product_options

My concern was the SATA backplane. Would this affect performance? Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
Considering that most backplains like that are more or less pass though, It will have no effect on performance. The biggest drawback is the number of drive bays. Also be sure to get the 315 watt PSU just to be safe.

tombadog

Cadet
Considering that most backplains like that are more or less pass though, It will have no effect on performance. The biggest drawback is the number of drive bays. Also be sure to get the 315 watt PSU just to be safe.

Great, thanks. I thought that was the case but I just wanted to make sure. 4 drive bays is enough for me. Thanks!

JohnK

Patron
I'm completely new to freenas and to building a NAS. I have a tight space restriction and found this case which size wise is perfect for an ITX build with a requirement for 4 drives. Is there anything ayone can see that is wrong with this case. https://www.in-win.com/en/ipc-server/ms04#product_options

My concern was the SATA backplane. Would this affect performance? Thanks in advance.
What size drives are you planning using? Always concerned about heat with these small boxes. Kind of reminds me of the FreeNas Mini.

tombadog

Cadet
What size drives are you planning using? Always concerned about heat with these small boxes. Kind of reminds me of the FreeNas Mini.
2TB drives. I'm am considering changing to a mATX case, however, because Im finding it challenging to find an ITX motherboard that is available from a reputable retailer.

Arwen

MVP
That does look exactly like the FreeNAS Mini, (with a minor door change). (Even seems to be the same system board...)

Make sure you get the 2 x 2.5" mounting brackets. It seems to show one of the side, so that might be included. The top slim-CD slot can also be used for a 2.5" disk too. That's where one of the places the FreeNAS Mini allows for a L2ARC or SLOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.