Introduction + New Build: plans, questions and more!

All the questions mentioned in the thread!

• RAIDZ1 (3 data drives, one parity drive and one hot spare)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RAIDZ2 (3 data drives, 2 parity drives)

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Truenas Core ("dont experiment with the OS, silly!")

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Truenas Scale (Risk OS bricking, but "should" be safe)

• Onboard SATA's -> Do not use!

• Onboard SATA's -> use, but.... (please explain :) )

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • System Specs -> OK

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • System Specs -> Er.. Not okay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That forced people to upgrade and sometime downgrade their firmware. You can use the same procedure to upgrade your card to P20, but I don't know if TrueNas is so prescriptive...

This is to prevent problems with mismatched firmware corrupting things.

"Prescriptive" could be read as suggesting that this was an optional step and that FreeNAS was being heavy-handed.

JohnK

Patron
This is to prevent problems with mismatched firmware corrupting things.

"Prescriptive" could be read as suggesting that this was an optional step and that FreeNAS was being heavy-handed.
sorry, english my second language.

At the time FreeNas was very clear with "red" warning messages when there was a firmware mismatch, and no one had any uncertainty as to what kind of corruption it could cause. And no one wants a corrupt pool.

With that said, I have not run into that with TrueNas, only having used it a few days. It might more than likely give you the same warning message. My experience so far has been that reporting, and messages are great inside TrueNas!

Last edited:

Matthias

Explorer
PXL_20220210_154030397.MP.jpg

Great succes! :grin:

Looking back at it, Brian Moses summarizes the exact same things i went through, and i read it some time ago :grin:.

(scroll down to: "Reflashing the IBM M1015")

Next up:
- run CPU + MEM validations + burn in
- Mount the 16TB Exos's
- Validate the IT mode

Then it just a matter of catching up on all the essential stuff, like scrubbing etc. for the hardware side of things. Basic setup of TrueNAS Core.
Work out scripts/plugins that i'd like to have etc.. Let alone, all the capabilities that Truenas offers, yet to be discovered! :tongue:

It's gonna be a looooong list! :eek:

Big thanks to the community and iXsystems!

Matthias

Explorer
sorry, english my second language.

At the time FreeNas was very clear with "red" warning messages when there was a firmware mismatch, and no one had any uncertainty as to what kind of corruption it could cause. And no one wants a corrupt pool.

With that said, I have not run into that with TrueNas, only having used it a few days. It might more than likely give you the same warning message. My experience so far has been that reporting, and messages are great inside TrueNas!
No worries my guy, me too! ;)

(actually third language, but hey.. XD. Born in Belgium so Dutch is my native language as well as French is. Although the latter is very hard to write in. Then English, and a little German to finish)

Etorix

Wizard
Then it just a matter of catching up on all the essential stuff, like scrubbing etc. for the hardware side of things.
Easy! Go to Tasks in the side bar and setup a regular task for scrub, say monthly, at a time when the NAS is not in use.
Take the opportunity to set up regular tasks for SMART tests, say short weekly and long monthly (not at the same date as the scrub!).
If you regularly check the results (or further set up alerts…), the bases are covered.

Matthias

Explorer
I was trying "solnet-array-test-v2" things, but i'm stuck at getting the script. Anyone knows if it's still up?
Will attempt to burn in, so i will have time to read all of JGreco's information :grin:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
"Computers run on smoke. Once the smoke comes out, they stop working."

Credit to Tony Podrasky at Convex Computer Corp., sometime in the '80's.

"Computers run on smoke: when the smoke comes out, they stop running"
- Tony Podrasky <tonyp@convex.com>

Back when we had ".plan" files and finger(1) was a thing.

I was trying "solnet-array-test-v2" things, but i'm stuck at getting the script. Anyone knows if it's still up?
Will attempt to burn in, so i will have time to read all of JGreco's information :grin:

It's available, but it's ftp-only. Try using "fetch" from the command line.

> fetch ftp://snarchive.sol.net/incoming/solnet-array-test-v2.sh
solnet-array-test-v2.sh 100% of 9589 B 29 MBps

I should really see about arranging http: access one of these days... What? You say that's obsolete? https: is the cool thing now? Sheesh.

Matthias

Explorer

I should really see about arranging http: access one of these days... What? You say that's obsolete? https: is the cool thing now? Sheesh.
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thank you.

As for the ftp, i dont know alot of all those things so XD.
Maybe some sort of share, with permissions to all but 'read only' is an option?

But i can see that opening anything up for grabs is not easy nor recommended these days.

JohnK

Patron
I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thank you.

As for the ftp, i dont know alot of all those things so XD.
Maybe some sort of share, with permissions to all but 'read only' is an option?

But i can see that opening anything up for grabs is not easy nor recommended these days.
feel like I would be dating myself thinking that ftp was once used as much at http...

great that you got things flushed and working. Now the fun starts and about also the time where you realize it is all just the beginning... once you realize you need a backup server, and soon you have a server rack full of servers :smile:

Matthias

Explorer
feel like I would be dating myself thinking that ftp was once used as much at http...

great that you got things flushed and working. Now the fun starts and about also the time where you realize it is all just the beginning... once you realize you need a backup server, and soon you have a server rack full of servers :smile:
I'm already looking at racks, chassis,rack switches, UPS, ... However, my wallet is looking at me like :eek:.

I'm glad the HBA's went good after some fiddlin' around.

Now a long validation starts (running), and it 'll give me time to do some more research.

Thanks!

Etorix

Wizard

Matthias

Explorer

got it!

Though don't know how to work with it. Cannot seem to find it, nor can i select it in the scripts.

afbeelding_2022-02-11_122905.png

Still newbie for bashing, but it seems downloaded (no 100% indication?).
Tried find command, and it replies with the filename XD.

So did a mistype on the extension "no such file or dir" is more what i expected :grin:

No file explorer too, so will do more research on how to use the CLI.

Downloaded the file trough a tool in windows, and placed it on the NAS. Now i can see it:

1644580008582.png

However i get the feeling this page is not intended to run your script, more for things that should run every boot/shutdown :grin:.

I'm reading up on your guides, it mentions run as root.
Will try again this afternoon.

Thank you

Matthias

Explorer
You can just execute it with sh

"sh solnet-array-test-v2.sh"

which is the easiest way.
Great!

Maybe one last question for the array tests. Would you check every drive, or only the HDD's. (currently 2x 870 evo's as boot in mirror, 5x 16tb exos in RaidZ2)

I figure the script is optimized for mechanical disks, and flash chips are less prone to be defective at their infant lifecycle.

Thank you!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's a read-only (nondestructive) test so it is fine to test everything. However, because the tool is designed to run against an array of identical disks and compare results, it will "notice" the faster drives. This is not an issue as long as you understand what the design intention behind the tool is.

SSD's that have not yet been written to will only be testing how well you can read the default "empty" page, so it won't be much of a test of the underlying flash chips. However, making sure that there are no problems talking to the SSD's is still fine.

Matthias

Explorer
It's a read-only (nondestructive) test so it is fine to test everything. However, because the tool is designed to run against an array of identical disks and compare results, it will "notice" the faster drives. This is not an issue as long as you understand what the design intention behind the tool is.

SSD's that have not yet been written to will only be testing how well you can read the default "empty" page, so it won't be much of a test of the underlying flash chips. However, making sure that there are no problems talking to the SSD's is still fine.
Went on and got the script running! :grin:

However... i looked at telemetry and so on, went back to the shell:

1644587390221.png

How do you get back to the script/see the status and progress?
Because i hear the disks doing things so i imagine its still running.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The WebGUI console is really crappy. There is no going back and forth like what it appears you attempted. You lost the shell session.

You are better off using SSH to get into the machine. From Windows, which offers a native ssh client now, or PuTTY, you can just leave the session open.

You can also hop on the VGA console if you like.

In both cases, you have the option to use "screen" (or "tmux") which create virtual sessions which you can later reattach to.

Depending on what exactly happened and what default settings do these days, it may be that tests are still running in the background. I suggest a reboot as the easiest way to guarantee that these stop, but you can also use "ps agxuww | grep solnet" to look for the master process, kill it, and then kill any dd processes running too.