Internet > Router > Router > Truenas Server > Jailed Nextcloud from plugin |and| VM Nextcloud

leka

Cadet
I'm stumped so I'm raising the white-flag for a rescuer to come and save my day.

I have been using Truenas core for years and thanks to this forum, I have been able to find answers that helped me through the challenges - Thank You! I keep everything updated so I'm on the latest versions of everything (I know Ubuntu is older but it's stable for my purposes).

The Problem: I have not figured out how to reach a jailed nextcloud from the internet.

What does work: I can, from the internet, reach nextcloud installed in a VM of Ubuntu 20.04.

My network topology is:
1) cable modem with fixed public IP
2) DNS pointers setup to send 'myservice(s).mydomain.com' to my public IP. I have multiple services, each on their own VM with fixed IP addresses so: myservice1, myservice2 and myservice3, all on mydomain.com
3) Router 1 setup to forward ports 80/443 to router 2
4) Router 2 setup to forward ports 80/443 to my Truenas Server
5) my Truenas Server has:
a) IP 10.0.1.67
b) a VM of Ubuntu 20.04 with IP 10.0.1.72 running caddy. All service requests come through Router 1 to Router 2 to IP 10.0.1.172 Caddy where they get sent off to the proper service IP.
c) a VM of Ubuntu 20.04 with IP 10.0.1.74 running myservice1 - accessed with myservice1.mydomain.com
d) a VM of Ubuntu 20.04 with IP 10.0.1.75 running myservice2 - accessed with myservice2.mydomain.com
e) a VM of Ubuntu 20.04 with IP 10.0.1.78 running myservice3 - accessed with myservice3.mydomain.com

My network is layeredwith Routers (maybe overkill but easy for me to manage) so users who don't care about internet safety and security are isolated from those of us who do.

This topology has been very stable for the past year or so and was really easy to setup and maintain, thanks to TrueNAS VM's and Caddy.

BUT - I wanted to learn about Jails so I installed the IXSystems plugin for Nextcloud and it and it seems to work fine. I can reach it from within my private network but I cannot reach it from the internet using 'myservice2.mydomain.com'. My VM-based services are working, I just cannot hit the Jailed Nextcloud from the internet.

I have read through many many posts and found some clues on how to setup a Jail VNET and BPF and such but it has me beat. My Caddy seems to be setup correctly and I know my VM Nextcloud service is working and internet accessible.

If you have had success with internet access to the plugin install working with Caddy I would appreciate hearing from you.

Best Regards