Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
I have acquired two servers to use as a NAS and would like to know which would be better ( if I can use them at all )for my Freenas application?
#1) Sunfire X2200 with two Opteron 2.2Ghz quad core processors and 32 Gig's of ram
#2) IBM x3550 M3 with two Xeon 2.3Ghz quad core processors and 8 Gig's of ram
Both are complete 1U units and power up fine to Bios setup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no answer that can be provided by the forum. There are so many variables its not even funny.

For instance, if #1 has a broadcom network card and #2 has an Intel, #1 might not be an option at all unless you are going to add an additional NIC card(assuming that the 1U design even supports it.

You didn't mention the CPUs by model. I had a 2.0Ghz Xeon from circa 2004-2005 and I'd NEVER recommend a CPU that old, ever.

There's lots more, but I won't continue to list them(partly because I don't think I could even think them all up). You really will have to figure this out for yourself. You may find that neither one even supports FreeBSD. :P

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
I going with the Intel unit which has two Xeon E5345's (LGA771) and has booted up fine. There's a PCI-e slot available for my LSI card and an PCI-X as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.