Intel X520-DA2 Card "NO CARRIER"

Hi Guys,

Just testing FreeNAS with an X520-DA2 card. We have two FreeNAS boxes with identical hardware - same issue on both. Card comes up fine ix0-1 but the state shows as "NO CARRIER". These are band new FreeNAS builds.

Systems are fully testing and working on VMWare.

ifconfig -m shows only automatic as a possible media type.

Link lights come up on both the NIC and the switch, we even see some data on the port. However FreeBSD just says "NO CARRIER".

Have tried fixing the port speed with no luck.

We can always switch out these cards, but we use them a lot. Seems like something with the BSD driver?

Thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Did you configure the card "up"? Does the Yottamark on the card pass validation?

The driver is authored by Intel and the X520 is the Intel card that I frequently recommend. The two items above are the main failure modes I've observed. The other is a faulty card.

SOLVED

Thank you for connecting with me on this. I started getting all the information on the card and system together for you. Here's what I did to solve the problem.

1. Booted with the latest Ubuntu Desktop. The card came up with no problems and used it for a bit. Installed ifconfig (net-tools) and checked it with that. Use a live boot key, no install required.
2. Rebooted back in to FreeNAS, cards came up with no issue.
3. Repeated for the other FreeNAS boxes, exactly the same.

My assumption is that these cards update their firmware on the driver loading.

Thanks.