Intel X520-DA2 won't work with SFP (1Gb)?

fosaq

Dabbler
Hi there!

I setup my first little NAS and have "problem". The switch I use at the moment is a little Netgear managed switch with 2 SFP ports (not SFP+), so it supports only 1Gb connections (S350 series GS310TP). Because of that, I chose the Intel X520 network card wich should support both, 1Gb and 10Gb so I can use another switch with SFP+ later (to expensive when I needed a new switch some time ago).

The network card is connected with a 1 m DAC twinax cable to the switch and I wonder why I don't even get a link. I thought maybe I can set the media type manually to 1Gb so I used the commandifconfig -m ix0 to figure out whitch options I have and basically there is only one:
Code:
supported media:
    media autoselect
    media 10Gbase-Twinax

Why is there no 1Gbase option? Do I need another driver?

==============================
System details:
- Fujitsu D3417-B1
- Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 (the Core i3-7100 won't work at the moment but that's another story...)
- 2x 8Gb Samsung ECC RAM
- FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2 installed on a Intel Optane M.2 Card
- Intel X520-DA2 PCIe
- no harddrives connected at the moment

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
TwinAX cables are 10G only. You’ll need a 1G SFP, not SFP+

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi there!

I setup my first little NAS and have "problem". The switch I use at the moment is a little Netgear managed switch with 2 SFP ports (not SFP+), so it supports only 1Gb connections (S350 series GS310TP). Because of that, I chose the Intel X520 network card wich should support both, 1Gb and 10Gb so I can use another switch with SFP+ later (to expensive when I needed a new switch some time ago).

The network card is connected with a 1 m DAC twinax cable to the switch and I wonder why I don't even get a link. I thought maybe I can set the media type manually to 1Gb so I used the commandifconfig -m ix0 to figure out whitch options I have and basically there is only one:
Code:
supported media:
    media autoselect
    media 10Gbase-Twinax

Why is there no 1Gbase option? Do I need another driver?

==============================
System details:
- Fujitsu D3417-B1
- Intel Xeon E3-1225 v5 (the Core i3-7100 won't work at the moment but that's another story...)
- 2x 8Gb Samsung ECC RAM
- FreeNAS 11.3-U3.2 installed on a Intel Optane M.2 Card
- Intel X520-DA2 PCIe
- no harddrives connected at the moment

As @Samuel Tai mentioned, don't use twinax. The 10 Gig Networking Primer specifically says to use optics and fiber wherever possible for maximum compatibility. Some of Intel's optics will do both 1G and 10G IIRC (too lazy to go try it out, heh). You can definitely stick an Intel 1G optic in an X520 and that should work.

fosaq

Dabbler
Thank you!

As I bought the X520, two Brocade (Broadcom) transcievers where also included. Part number is 57-0000075-01 and it says 10GE SR on it.
Even if I had a transciever for the switch and fibre cable: it won't work with 1G, right?

So I need transcievers that go with 1G (SFP and SFP+) and a cable.
For the switch i would go with a Digitus "Professional DN-81000" and for the X520 the Intel "E10GSFPSR".
I can use a standard OM2 MM cable with LC connectors, right?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm pretty sure I've been able to use generic Finisar optics in the Intel cards for 1G, because at one point we had stock of maybe 100 or more and I'd use them as placeholders while ordering the correct optics for a project.

Bear in mind that optics generate various kinds of light, and you want "SX", not "LX" or "ZX".

I've had good luck with FS.COM for "compatible" optics. If it were me, I'd be getting

$10 - NETGEAR AGM731F Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM Transceiver Module
$6 - Generic Compatible 1000BASE-SX SFP 850nm 550m DOM Transceiver Module
$18 - Intel E10GSFPSRX Compatible 10GBASE-SR SFP+ 850nm 300m DOM Transceiver Module

I cannot *guarantee* that the "Generic" optic will work in the Intel card, but at $6 it's dumb not to try it. The last optic is for "later" when you go 10G. FS also has a good selection of fiber. I suggest OM3, which isn't necessary for 1G, but if you later upgrade, it keeps you in spec. You can absolutely run 10G over a short distance even on OM1, but if you're buying new, ...