Intel RES2SV240 Expander Firmware Update?

TXAG26

Patron
Has anyone updated the firmware on their Intel RES2SV2440 expander? The newest version that Intel has on their site is PH13 from 2012. According to Intel, this card won't be discontinued until 2017. Any idea whether it is possible to flash this with a standard LSI firmware image or where to locate a newer version of the Intel firmware? My LSI 2308 is running on PH16.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=RES2SV240

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
Hello. Did you ever get to the bottom of this ?

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
Ok thanks mate. I am trying to use one with my HP H220 HBA card.

TXAG26

Patron
I’d give it a go and see how it works. That setup might like your HP card. Given the 16-port HBA and 8-port options available, I’d probably pick up one or two of them, depending on how many ports you need, instead of a HBA + expander combo. I’ve heard the Supermicro backplanes with built-in expander chips also work well and I would think Supermicro would probably publish firmware updates for them too.

TXAG26

Patron
I’d give it a go and see how it works. That setup might like your HP card. Given the 16-port HBA and 8-port options available, I’d probably pick up one or two of them, depending on how many ports you need, instead of a HBA + expander combo. I’ve heard the Supermicro backplanes with built-in expander chips also work well and I would think Supermicro would probably publish firmware updates for them too.

BTW, remembering back to when I had the Intel expander, I also re-did all of the SATA drive cabling at that same time. If I had to guess, I’d put more weight on my system having a bad cable connector because I just remembered that I had to re-cable my backup machine around that same time and that too resolved some intermittent issues I was seeing. Always spring for good quality cables. The Supermicro Online Store has great pricing on quality cables and fans, much better than I’ve seen at other places if you order a couple of items to offset the nominal shipping charges.

McTechSolutions

Dabbler
Thanks mate