Intel DC PCI-E P3600 vs P3700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kogio

Cadet
For home use does it matter if I use a P3600 vs P3700 for a SLOG

I will be using the freenas for storage for VMs along with a iSCSI connections its datastore.

I know the P3600 only has 3 writes per day vs 17 on the P3700.

I just do not think I will even hit the 3 per day on the P3600.

What I am looking to run as VMs are
Plex
Wireless controller
NextCloud
Backups for local computers
Windows and linux jumpboxes

I have 2 other hosts that are my test lab. But are not on much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's also a performance difference. If you're okay with that, it's your prerogative.

tvsjr

Guru
Just for some metrics, my S3700 SLOG device (200GB, down-sized to 16GB), rated at 10DWPD or 2TB/day for 5 years, has been running for 14,703 hours (612 days) and currently shows ~62.4TB of writes on it. That's ~0.102TB/day, or roughly 5% of what it's rated for. At that rate, I should burn the drive up in 100 years... or, in enough time that I will no longer be around to care about it, save for some major advance in medical science. That's providing NFS to 3 vSphere hosts and a few iSCSI LUNs for active/standby storage for my web server, mail server, etc. About 30 VMs in total.

In short, while there's lots of talk about how hard SLOGs are on SSDs, IMO, it's probably a bit overblown. I wouldn't want a consumer-grade, 0.3DWPD drive in this service... but any decent enterprise drive should be fine. It's more important that the drive be as fast as possible (NVMe is king here) and have power loss protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.