Installing to VM, problems with ahcich

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkHalf

Cadet
I saw FreeNAS some time ago, and am trying to evaluate it as a possible solution. Before I go out and buy a ton of hardware I want to evaluate FreeNAS so I thought I would install it on a VM.

I am using Parallels on Mac. I've tried several different workflows regarding installation (beginning with the documented installation) and always run into: "ahcich1: Timeout on slot X port 0" being repeated over and over with X being a 0-20 number. I've included a screenshot.

I've done searches for this, and most point to bad hard drive controllers however this is a virtual controller, in an emulated environment, in a fully updated system. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 3.13.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 3.13.56 PM.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 272

mjws00

Guru
We have a (very) few Mac guys around, some even run parallels. Don't know of any running FreeNAS in parallels as a VM. Maybe someone has pulled if off, but I've never seen it mentioned or discussed. It isn't surprising at all that FreeNas might complain about incompatible drivers, or timeout unexpectedly. Wish I could tell you there was a quick and simple fix, but I don't know it. Might be someone (dev?) utilizing VMWare Fusion for testing?

If you can find great settings for FreeBSD 9.3 running under parallels... you may be able to emulate the model to some extent. If there are multiple controller or hard disk devices available... maybe try another? Also you won't get away with under resourced VM's for FreeNAS even for testing. Not a parallels guy, sorry. Just like my mba and support clients on Macs.

So that's your bump from one of the few who will even read a Mac question. Maybe someone will have an idea or two, but the resource base you are drawing from is very small.

DarkHalf

Cadet
Update: Well I got a lot further with VirtualBox! Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.