Installing plex on Freenas 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake10

Cadet
I am currently running Freenas 8 and have minidlna and firefly plugins running. My machine is kinda dated and only running with 1gb ram, so I have currenly running UFS filesystem. I would like to install plex plugin on freenas 8 but didn't know if it's possible. Would like to do this to stream my blu ray collection to my smart tv. Thanks in advance for any help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, you'll have major problems running plex with just 1GB of RAM to start.

Second, there is no PBI plugin for Plex on FreeNAS 8(which I think is why you are asking the question).

I won't say its impossible. If you are a FreeBSD ninja it should be dead simple to get working(after you get more RAM). For the rest of the world, it'll be rather difficult. 8.x is basically obsolete and nobody is really using it so getting any kind of help is going to be near impossible.

In short, unless you feel you can figure it out on your own with the FreeNAS 8 jail then you aren't going to see Plex.

Jake10

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply. So what if I upgraded to Freenas 9? With my current hardware (1gn ram being the most limiting factor), am I able to run Freenas 9 and UFS? Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Minimum requirement is 2GB. I'd recommend 4GB of RAM if you want to run Plex in a jail. See the system requirements section of the FreeNAS manual for more info. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.