Installing on Debian (or other distribution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

larouchen

Cadet
Hi to all,

newbie here...

I got a cloud server and want to setup freenas. Is there any info? i try 6 hrs with no luck....

I need simply to install it somehow on a new clear cloud server with debian 9 (or let me know what i need to install as base)

what i want to do:

to create a nas online instead of a local drive.

So i will have the public nas and share i.e. in my home etc (using the public ip). My pcs are windows (where I want the shares with folders and users / rights).

Is this possible?

If yes, how can i install it on a linux distribution?

For moment i installed debian 9 and i dont know how to install freenas on it.

Can somebody help?

I have ssh etc to my new server.. after? what
?

Many thanks

I found some info but nothing is working... please help!!!

thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer

larouchen

Cadet
hi danb

you mean this will not work? to install freenas in a cloud server (ie dedicated) and mount the drives to many pc's in a company instead of having the server locally to have it in dedicated?

are you sure this doesnt work?

many thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you have dedicated remote hardware that's suitable for FreeNAS, and can install any OS you want on (like FreeNAS--it is its own OS, not just a set of packages that installs elsewhere), and can configure a VPN with the hosting provider such that the server is available to your network but not exposed to the Internet, this could work. But even then, it really doesn't seem like what FreeNAS is designed to do.

larouchen

Cadet
great!! hundreds of thanks Danb for all your help.. it seems its not what im looking for then unfortunately...
i just want to make a nas in the cloud... with same things.. groups, users etc... just in the cloud instead of a local system in the machine room...

Status
Not open for further replies.