installing home assistant supervised on truenas scale

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello all

I’m a home user and for the moment i use HA to control my HVAC and media environment. Next month I will be adding lihting and access control (via motion sensors).

My query:
i’m running HA supervised on a dedicated debian 11 laptop.

i have 2 truenas core servers for all storing all my media

everything works well (therefore i should maybe leave it all alone)

one of my truenas servers just died

I will be building another server, on which i am wondering if i move to truenas scale. I have no use .for it becvause truenas core is doing all what i need.

I would consider moving to turenas scale because it is based upon Debian. Truenas scale used containers like docker as opposed to jails.

if this is the case coulg i move my HA supervised to truenas scale?

this would:

1. free up a laptop
  2. have HA run on a fully redundant environment
would this make sense? and is ti possible?

What i found out to date

I heard from the home assistat community that is possible .......Great.

However It was mentioned that Truenase scale will not allow passthrough of USB traffic. from Home assistant. using docker andf i need to use something called truecharts.

I say to you all is this correct?

is what i am trying to do possible/or woth my while?

thank you allin advance for your support and patience

thenk you in advance for your contribution

SmItLeR

Cadet
Would also like to know some suggestions to this question as I'm trying to set up HA Super within TrueNAS on a Cisco UCS C240M3 Server and struggling to do anything inside of HA Core.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello

I personnaly gave up on this idea. I got my self an HP ml350 G6 for a very low price. It had VMware 6.7 on it. and 6 drives. I pooled the drives into 3 X 146 GB ans a boot drive and the rest into a 1.2TB virtual drive.

In my case the HP Ml will also host my OPNsense solution so this approach will further benificial to save one server (as it would if you put it on truenas) and since both OPNsense and HA will be alkways on thios would still save a PC to run either OPNsense or HA

Although this was all new to me (with absolutly no clue on the hardware or the software) I managed to install home assistant os in the VM. This was relatively simple and it worked. Now i will take the time to implement a more pragamatic, modular and simplistic approach to the automations in Home assistant.

Furthermore IMHO this will allow me to make easier to have a back up

Good luc

Kosygor

Dabbler
Hello all

I’m a home user and for the moment i use HA to control my HVAC and media environment. Next month I will be adding lihting and access control (via motion sensors).

My query:
i’m running HA supervised on a dedicated debian 11 laptop.

i have 2 truenas core servers for all storing all my media

everything works well (therefore i should maybe leave it all alone)

one of my truenas servers just died

I will be building another server, on which i am wondering if i move to truenas scale. I have no use .for it becvause truenas core is doing all what i need.

I would consider moving to turenas scale because it is based upon Debian. Truenas scale used containers like docker as opposed to jails.

if this is the case coulg i move my HA supervised to truenas scale?

this would:

1. free up a laptop
  2. have HA run on a fully redundant environment
would this make sense? and is ti possible?

What i found out to date

I heard from the home assistat community that is possible .......Great.

However It was mentioned that Truenase scale will not allow passthrough of USB traffic. from Home assistant. using docker andf i need to use something called truecharts.

I say to you all is this correct?

is what i am trying to do possible/or woth my while?

thank you allin advance for your support and patience

thenk you in advance for your contribution
Well I had problem with passing USB contoller so I just threw second controller to PCI-E slot and it handles both zb coordinator and nanoCUL.
Did not really knew that this was problem and I have acted behave instinctively but well if it runs for like 10m i guess this is good. Had few troubles wit zb coordinator but this had nothing to do with USB controller as I recall.
To be precise I run hassOS supervised as VM in TrueNAS Scale.
Additionally I even managed to passtrough AMD GPU to support h.264 decoding for Frigate NVR ( to be honest I am still waiting for my Google Coral).

William Bravin

Contributor
Hi!

Thanks for your comments

I gave up on this idea and i will keep dedicated servber for truenas for the moment.

I was gifted an HP ML350 G6 which had EXSI 6.7 already installed. I moved my HA (now HAOS) and opnsense to this machine. it's working fine

Because I have time on my hands and more sense than brains, i'm debating of putting truenas scale on this machine and converting my architechture from a nas to a san.

I would consider to have 2 servers built built with this configuration and have 2 small jbods for the drives.

I would then use the redundancy feature of exsi to accomplish this.

Thruth be told I can talk the talk but i definatly can't walk the walk. I will need to learn how to accomplish this because i no nothing about all this. Do i need this NOT. but it's something to do