Installing freenas FROM a usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivano

Cadet
Hello all,

I don't have any optical disk.
I want to install Freenas FROM usb stick to a small internal SSD(16Gb).

I tried to install it on the usb stick, it boot, freeness work but impossible to install it on the SSD. Freenas don't give me any menu to install it on Hard drive(SSD).

Is it possible to do an installation from usb stick to a internal hard drive without optical disk ?

If yes, how ?

Thank you for your help

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi ivano,

I'm pretty sure there are utilities that will write out a menu\bootloader to a key that will give you a menu & boot your choice of .iso images. Makes for a handy utility key with gpart, maybe a FreeBSD boot disk that sort of thing...might be worth searching for something like that.

The FreeNAS docs include a section on installing from something other than a cd-rom by manually "dd"ing the image out to a key, that's another alternative. Take a look at this:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

Personally I have always has poor luck using anything other than the .iso via a proper burned disk. If you have an Intel box around (maybe the one you are reading this on) you could always burn the .iso to a disk & do the install on that machine, then when you are prompted to reboot just shutdown the box, move the key over to the filer & boot it there. The install is really just a nice text-mode installer that writes the image out to flash, it doesn't do any configuration (all the device detection happens on boot) so FreeNAS wouldn't have any idea that you installed somewhere else.

-Will

paleoN

Wizard
The FreeNAS docs include a section on installing from something other than a cd-rom by manually "dd"ing the image out to a key, that's another alternative. Take a look at this:

Personally I have always has poor luck using anything other than the .iso via a proper burned disk
It's the only way I've ever done it, Burning an IMG File. Though come to think of it I've always "dd"ed the image to USB from my squeeze install.

Fregor

Dabbler
id love some help

-hey id love some help on this

-i just bought and put toghter my nas server the thing is im now trying to install Freenas but im following up on this

it says download the Full_Install.xz file.

the problem is the Full_install is not in blue and i cant find any where to download this

-ive so far tried to install the 64 and the 32bit on the front page from freenas.org and installed with unetbootin

-thoug when i then set my nas to boot from the usb it says invald boot or kernel.. i once made it so far it started loading but its just for a instant so i cant make out the text and then it restarts

-please help what to do?

andoy31

Explorer
Try this out
1. Download the iso
2. Extract the contents of the iso
3. Find the .img file in the extracted iso
4. Use an img burner-i'm using rawrite (google has the link)
5. Run rawrite and point it to the img file then select your usb drive.

Works like a charm :)

paleoN

Wizard
Or just go to the FreeNAS Sourceforge page and download the img.xz file.

Status
Not open for further replies.