Installing Certificate

Piekuss99

Cadet
Good afternoon

Sorry in advance if i do not explain myself very well i am really new to TrueNas

i have set up a server using TrueNas core and Nextcloud and i am struggling to get a https connection.

I have a domain through ionos and have downloaded the ssl certificate which is a cer file. I have also downloaded the key. both of which are stored on my main windows pc.

I am struggling to install these on the server i have tried a few different things listed on the internet but cannot get this to work.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is in the official documentation for Core:

Piekuss99

Cadet
I have pasted in my certificate and private key but it still doesnt seem to work
1708616308218.png

Piekuss99

Cadet
so i now have the certificate installed.
1708617333290.png

but when i load in on the internet it still says unsafe connection

Samuel Tai

Yes, go to System->General, and switch the certificate to the one you just installed. You can delete the freenas_default certificate afterwards.

Piekuss99

Cadet
in system general i have activated my new certificate and deleted the freenas 1 but my site still comes back unsecure.

Samuel Tai

Reboot to activate the new certificate.

danb35

Hall of Famer
my site still comes back unsecure.
With what exact error?

Really, there are lots of issues here. In no particular order:
  • You should never expose the TrueNAS UI to the Internet under any circumstances
  • You should not be getting your private key from a third party, because that means that third party has access to your communications
  • You've compromised your private key by sharing a good bit of it in this topic
  • Probably others that don't come immediately to mind.
Reboot to activate the new certificate.
No, you never need to reboot the NAS to use a new certificate.

Piekuss99

Cadet
@danb35
Yeah i am really new to all this, I have p[reviously built private offline servers but never an online one, took notice of everything you said and changed everything, including the private key.