Installed HDD, but cannot add extent in iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whotaketh

Dabbler
Hi all, first post here since I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

I was previously running a FreeNAS 8.x (I think? I don't remember anymore) box that I recently upgraded to 9.2.1.5, and I wanted to install a couple of WD Reds to replace some older drives with. I managed to import the volumes easily enough, but when I go to set the extents in iSCSI, I cannot add the new disk as either a Device nor a File extent. The disk doesn't even show up when I choose Device, and there is no "Extent1" file when I choose File. I feel like there's something I'm missing here, but I'm just not seeing it.

If there any info or output you need me to paste in here, let me know how to do it. I'm a relative noob when it comes to command line. Thanks in advance!

Whotaketh

Dabbler
Ok, before anyone jumps on me, I derped and skimmed the documentation part on the iSCSI creation. Though to be fair(er), I don't recall having had to create the Extent1 file when I set this up previously, so I thought I'd automatically find it when I went to add it. Can someone provide the reasoning behind why it's user-specified?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why you specify the file? So you can choose to put the file anywhere you want. Any pool, any dataset, etc.

Whotaketh

Dabbler
Hm ok makes sense. Putting the file in another place isn't part of my use case, so that never occurred to me. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.