Installation

dvdrttr214

Cadet
I've never worked with FreeNas before but I want to try it. I've been researching videos on how to install it and have a question.

I have a 500GB hard drive (to use as the boot device) and a 4 TB hard for storage. From what I've seen so far, I need to create a bootable USB to install FreeNas but that's where I need a clarification. I want the 500 GB to be the boot device when I'm done, and the 4 TB to be the 'nas' drive. According to what I read, if I use the 500 GB drive to boot the device, it makes the rest of the drive unusable. If that's the case, that's fine. It's been sitting around and I almost destroyed it before I started reading about FreeNas.

So my question: if I install FreeNas from the USB drive, and make the 500 GB the bootable drive, what happens if I turn off the pc what contains both drives? Will the
500 GB boot the pc or is there more required?

Thanks. This may sound too simple for some but I've been working on computers for 20 years and never tried FreeNas.

blueether

Patron
Yes the 500GB drive will become the OS device and will boot the machine.

Just a side note, a single 4TB dirve will give you no redundancy to failure

dvdrttr214

Cadet
Thanks. Thanks for the note about redundancy ... I intended to add an external drive (not enough room in the case for multiple drives).

The more I research, the more I’m inclined to buy a NAS.

Thanks again.