SOLVED Installation Keyboard Problem, HP Proliant Gen8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to this so please be gentle, but I'm trying to install FreeNAS onto my HP Proliant Gen8 system. I've got two usb sticks, one with the iso on it and the other ready to be the main 'usb drive'. I can get it booting to the install fine the problem I have is getting the keyboard to work.

The gen8 only has USB, so PS/2 isn't an option. I've borrowed a KeySonic gaming keyboard that is USB, but only random keys work, such as '7', which seems to get me from the '1 [Install/Upgrade]' option. But after that I can't select the drive, if I press '7' again (or C, or Q, or a couple of other odd keys) it just says I need to select a drive.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Chris.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thoughts:

Some gaming keyboards draw too much power (by keyboard standards). Turn off backlights and stuff. Some (like the Corsairs) have a compatibility mode for BIOS-like environments.
Try another keyboard and/or USB port.

Chriscom

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I nipped out this morning and bought a ps/2 to usb converter and used my normal keyboard and it worked fine. The issue appears to be to use the keyboard I borrowed requires some sort of OS install (Windows driver update for example) so it must be something to do with the layout of the keyboard.

Anyway all sorted now thanks, figured I'd leave this incase anyone else has the same problem. As you say, avoid funny backlight gamer etc keyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.