Installation Issues - FreeNAS 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfreeman1412

Cadet
Hey guys,
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Isilon Systems S5000 with 16g of ram and 12 -2tb drives. I am installing FreeNAS from a sandisk 16g flash drive to another sandisk 16g flash drive. When I am installing from the first flash drive to the second one, the server reboots before it say installation successful. I have tried to install it onto one of the server drives just to see if it would install, and it did with the installation complete window coming up, however it would not boot(i did install it on the 12th hard drive). Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Isilon Systems S5000
Just searching for that model, I wasn't easily able to find more information on it. Can you give some specs or a link to documentation?

Jfreeman1412

Cadet
There isn't a lot of information out there on it, turns out after trying to research it for the last 3 days. This shows up while booting.....Supermicro X7DBU/X7DGU Rev 2.1b2
It has 2 Xeon(r) CPU L5410 @ 2.33GHz

I did get it to boot off of an onboard hard drive but still same issue with USB installation. Thank you for you help!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
USB support on boards that old is not all in sometimes needs to be. You may need to use hard drives as boot drives for it. Does it have unused SATA port on the system board that are not involved in the storage bays?

Jfreeman1412

Cadet
Hey Chris,
It does not have any extra sata ports other than the ones used for the NAS drives. It does have 3 Mini SAS ports. Would it work to attach a SATA HD to those and use that as a boot drive? Thanks

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Based on the Supermicro model number you gave, unless Isolon had it customized, there should be six SATA ports. Is that not correct?
I sure wish I could have a look.
If the SAS controller has a boot firmware installed, you should be able to set it as a bootable device. I have several servers at work that boot from the SAS controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.