Installation/Hardware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcbay

Cadet
Hi-

Im trying to install FreeNas on the following spec system - problem I have is that after it boots to the install media, the system reboots. I would like to see if there is anything in the hardware that might be causing this, the only think I could identify is that I am not using ECC RAM - I havent found a clear answer on if it must be ECC or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System spec: Dual Xeon E5-2603 1.7Ghz, 32GB DDR4 (NON ECC), 12 X 6TB Iron Wolf Drives + 512GB Samsung Nvme - Asus Z10PE-DB WS motherboard.

Install Media: 8GB Candisk Cruzer USB

Looking to install FreeNas on the Samsung 512GB NVMe Drive.

I've included a screen shot of the last thing I see before the install reboots the system. Thx

Attachments

• freenas1.jpg
    freenas1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 245

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I hope you didn't spend any money on that system board or NVMe drive. You totally ignored the recommended hardware lists that have been painstakingly assembled and maintained by the members here. Also, any drive larger than 32GB is totally wasted on a boot drive and there is no need for the boot drive to be fast for FreeNAS.

FreeNAS® Quick Hardware Guide

Hardware Recommendations Guide

marcbay

Cadet
The system was initially put together for a different software package, then we decided to change to freenas. can you give me any feedback or direction on how to overcome the problem I am having?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The last thing in the screenshot is
Code:
orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem 0xd3800-0xd47ff,0xd4800-0xd57ff on isa0

I would guess that there is some incompatibility with that hardware and the fault is causing the reboot. Since this is a workstation board, it has hardware built into it, audio for one, that is not usable by FreeNAS and could be the source of the fault. It is entirely possible that the system board itself could be the source of the problem. Is it on the BSD Unix hardware compatibility list?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also, any drive larger than 32GB is totally wasted on a boot drive
Well, not really, especially with the bloating of the install lately. There's little point in going with small drives, cost/reliability should be the driving forces.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well, not really, especially with the bloating of the install lately. There's little point in going with small drives, cost/reliability should be the driving forces.
I guess it doesn't hurt to have a little more space, but I have a 37.2 GiB boot volume and with 10 prior boot environments I am only using 5.4 GiB (14%). Mileage may vary.

marcbay

Cadet
Thanks for the info, I will test some scenarios with the board then, see about changing hardware.

murpmich59

Cadet
I just installed freenas 11 today. Before i was having problems loading it on the server. The install jump drive would boot up and I would start the install and after 50% or so the sever would shutdown and reboot back to the install screen. I found out it didn't like my jump drive i was installing it on because i changed the jump drive and everything installed and is operating now. Not sure if that is what your having issues with.

Status
Not open for further replies.