install reboots before complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikermed

Dabbler
Hey guys, I'm attempting to install FreeNAS v 9.10.2-U2 and FreeNAS-Corral-10.0.2

Neither have installed and both fail/restart at the same point.

Running:
Asus Z10PE-16 WS (dual cpu motherboard)
xeon 2683 v3 (14 core) in cpu slot 1
64GB kingston ECC KVR21R15D4K4/64 RAM
Kingston 120GB SSD (I have several, but just trying to install on one)
Toshiba 16GB flash drive
Sandisk 64GB Flash Drive
LSI 9300 HBA
Intel 1gig NIC
intel dual 10gbe x540 NIC
1000 watt platinum powersupply

Things I've tried to troubleshoot:
Removing all expansion cards (intel 1gig and 10 gig nic, LSI 9300 HBA) and attempting to install via both flash drives.
Read somewhere to try and disable all USB3 ports (tried this)
Tried both ISO and DD Image copies of the Image file using Rufus
I've tried installing from one USB to another (I don't even get far enough to choose the media)
I've tried Corral and I"ve tried the latest build V 9.10.2-U2
I've tried pulling RAM modules. Went all the way down to 16GB, with no luck.

This is a non-stop cycle at the same progress point.

The last line I see is the picture I've attached

Attachments

• Last Screen.jpg
    Last Screen.jpg
    639.2 KB · Views: 395
Last edited by a moderator:

Plato

Contributor
While you tried unplugging them all the way to 16GB did you try memtest x86? It may be possible that there's something wrong with your memory. Try with different combinations first. Leaving only one module but different ones every time and try again. If again it doesn't work run memtest. I don't think all 4 modules would go bad at the same time but who knows.

strikermed

Dabbler
I have not tried memtest x86 yet... that's on my todo list. However, I have tried each Dimm in the first slot and booting, but I get the same results.

I'm toying around with FreeNAS and UNRAID to see which I like more for both storage and virtual machines since I have a very over powered server for either. I mention this, because I was able to get UNRAID installed with no problem... if this helps at all in diagnosing the problem. I've also been able to install Windows 2012 R2 without any issue.

I'll try memtest x86 here shortly and report back.

Plato

Contributor
If you think you have an overpowered server and want to use it fully, than I think you should install FreeNas Coral at least. With Coral you could create VMs which could also include Windows machines.

Or you could install Windows Server 2012 and install FreeNas as VM and use that way. You should give drives directly to FreeNas though if you want to use raidz..

strikermed

Dabbler
i tried all 4 RAM DIMMs with no luck.

I'm running Memtest86. i'm 25% done with no issues. i'll let it run overnight and record the results here... this really doesnt make sense. i was able to install on a vm in windows with the same exact hardware.

strikermed

Dabbler
If you think you have an overpowered server and want to use it fully, than I think you should install FreeNas Coral at least. With Coral you could create VMs which could also include Windows machines.

Or you could install Windows Server 2012 and install FreeNas as VM and use that way. You should give drives directly to FreeNas though if you want to use raidz..
I've been trying to install corral. I get it to boot from the drive, and I choose to install, it runs through what I assume is drivers, and when it's supposed to get to the screen where I choose what to install and where it reboots my machine. I've tried a hundred times, switching out RAM, used several different programs to recoup the ISO to the USB drive, I've tried different USB drives, I've tried different USB ports, I've tried everything I can think of that would be hardware related. I'm assuming this is a software issue that's over my head to troubleshoot.

I'll let the memtest finish just to be safe, but I'm highly doubting any issues will come from it...

strikermed

Dabbler
While you tried unplugging them all the way to 16GB did you try memtest x86? It may be possible that there's something wrong with your memory. Try with different combinations first. Leaving only one module but different ones every time and try again. If again it doesn't work run memtest. I don't think all 4 modules would go bad at the same time but who knows.

I have run memtest x86 with all 4 DIMMS installed and it passed with flying color.

Where can I go from here? I've tried each DIMM separately, I've tried different USB ports and flash drives, I've disconnected all devices (PCI express and sata drives) except the USB drives, I've pretty much tried everything I can think of, but I continue to get an auto reboot.

Here is the video that happens every time with FreeNAS Corral and the latest 9.1 stable build: https://youtu.be/tbilIKWc_yY

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You might want to make sure you don't have any loose watchdogs in the BIOS. Disable them all.

strikermed

Dabbler
So, this is what I'm discovering... something with either my BIOS or hardware configuration is not letting me install FreeNAS on the system I want to install it on... However, what I'm attempting to do is install via DVD onto a Flash drive on another system, and then I'll boot that Flash drive on the new hardware and see where I can go from there.

I tried everything I could think of, shy of adding a second CPU in my system. I'm crossing my fingers it works once I get software installed on my Flash drive.

I'll update you with my findings...

strikermed

Dabbler
Ugh, so that idea didn't work either... FreeNAS installed on my other system to a USB Flash drive, but when I put it in the new system, it would go through, but give me an error... just doesn't like my system for some reason... I'm also have issues installing Esxi Hypervisor....

I have absolutely no idea why only Windows Server 2012 R2 and UNRAID have been working candidates....

strikermed

Dabbler
OK, I FINALLY got FreeNAS Corral to install, but not in the way that most of you would like. Here is a work around until the specific issue is fixed (if it is ever fixed)... I'm assuming that the issue is related to the BIOS since the way I got this to work is through a VM where It mocked a non UEFI BIOS.

The solution to make FreeNAS work on the Z10PE D16 WS motherboard is through UNRAID, or if you can get it up and running ESXi Hypervisor (I could not get this to install with this motherboard just like FreeNAS).

Here is how I did it. Mind you I'm using PCI Express Passthrough with an HBA card so that I can properly pass through the drives as suggested in this blog post: http://www.freenas.org/blog/yes-you-can-virtualize-freenas/

OK, full disclosure I have not fully tested this, and I have just now begun to play with the set up, but thus far it works!.

Here's how I did it:

1. download and install UNRAID following their instructions on their website: https://lime-technology.com/
  • I'm using the trial version to put this through it's paces before I buy a license.
  • This OS not only is itself and NAS system (Downside being no striping, just a JBOD with parity disks for redundancy, not bad if your saturating a single 1GbE connection), but it's a powerful docker, application platform, but most of all a powerful yet simple Virtilization platform
2. I suggest connecting 2 SSD or more to your SATA ports and create a disk array with them in UNRAID. This will help drive everything that you may want to run, and save your ISO's, and Provide space for your VM software like Windows.

3. Follow all the required steps so you can start setting up VM's. You first need to start an array, and there may be a step or two: get started: https://lime-technology.com/getting-started/) . after this, To enable VM you need to go to Settings > VM Manager

4. Map the Isos Folder to what ever computer you are accessing UNRAID from and download what ever ISO you want to add. To do this you need to know your UNRAID server IP or the server name you gave it. You will need to map your drive (you may need to look it up if you don't know how to)... however I will tell you to type this in the blank when mapping: "//yourservernameORtheIP/isos" This folder is where you can just copy what ever ISO you would like to utilize. I copied FreeNAS Corral

5. From here you can start setting up your First VM. In the VM tab you can click on FreeBSD. This will bring up a template to work with.

6. Name your VM, and choose which cores you want to use. In my case I have 14 cores 28 threads. The way my cores and hyper threaded cores line up is 0&14, 1&15, 2&16, and so on. I would suggest choosing the base core and the hyper threaded core that corresponds with your system.

7. Choose how much RAM you are using (this can be changed later as well). I chose 16GB to start out with.

8. IMPORTANT: Machine is where the "BIOS" comes in to play. To my knowledge the VM imitates a different BIOS than what your system has to make this work. I chose "i440fx-2.7" as mine. I left BIOS to the default setting.

9. I changed my OS Install ISO to FreeNAS Corral which I added to the isos folder. (I may have forgot to mention this step: in the settings tab under VM manager you need to select the "isos" folder under "default ISO Storage Path" if it isn't already selected). I changed OS install CDRom BUS to USB.

10. Under Primary vDisk Location, I left this auto, you could choose if you wanted to. Next, I changed VirtiO to USB for primary vDisk Bus

11. Choose a network adapter. I left Virbr0 for right now. All this can be changed later on. I'm actually going to run a 10GbE card in this machine via passthrough

12. Leave everything else the same, and at this point you can get it to install. If you want to get an HBA to pass-through, there is a little bit of work to do, and this article is a good explanation on how to do it: http://www.smsprojects.co.uk/video-unraid-pass-through-hardware-3-ways-to-do-it/

I would stick to the "Editing the VM's XML file" section of the article. The video is helpful, but slightly outdated. UNRAID has actually updated their interface to make the text layout of the devices much easier to read together.

Using this article I was able to pass through my 10GbE NIC and my LSI 9300 HBA.

I intend to passthrough a USB controller for Windows Server 2012 R2, here's a post to help with that as well: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/35112-guide-passthrough-entire-pci-usb-controller/

13. OK, so you have everything installed, choose the "Shutdown" option and then wait for the VM to stop.

Now edit your VM and erase the field for the ISO image. This will prevent it from trying to install every time you start up your VM.

The next step is to start your VM again, and then open VNC remote. You'll notice some Shell command prompt. type "Exit"
This will bring you to a BIOS screen. Go to Boot Manger, and choose Miscelaneous Device (I foudn when I switched the Primary vDisk Bus to USB, that this option showed up and booted like it should) Follow the prompts and off to the races with FreeNAS!

strikermed

Dabbler
A few updates, via the boot manager I was able to remove all other boot devices other than miscellaneous and now it boots without any extra steps when I start the VM.

A cauviat, you can't run dockers or VM when you virtualize FreeNAS. It just says your processor doesn't support it, which makes sense since you're already virtualizing.

Notes: a HBA pass through works perfectly, and I'm able to utilize RAIDz2 with 5 6TB drives with all smart info reporting. The only things that I've noticed don't function like I expect is CPU temps (which makes some sense), and setting up your network connections can be a little confusing since you either need to stick with a virtual one or pass through dedicated ports.

Performance wise, I'm getting full 1gigabit speeds, and I hope to test out direct connected 10G speeds once I get all my data on the drives. I also plan to add a cache drive or two to the system.

In the mean time, testing will continue, and I'll continue to work with FreeNAS for a big fix, so I can install it on the raw hardware. I'm just glad I have a place to go with my data now that I have a second local location to offload to.

Status
Not open for further replies.