Install Onto A Sun V100 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonmaestro

Cadet
I am looking for some help on how to get freenas onto a sun v100 server.

I had gotten the servers from a friend that had no need for them and i see that they dont have a video out port so i am looking for help to get freenas onto them.

Thanks for the help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, read the manual, read my guide(link in the sig) and get to work. Even if we walked you through installation you'd still need to be walked through alot more. Far easier for you to figure it all out and do it yourself.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Pretty sure no one's yet ported FreeNAS to SPARC.

demonmaestro

Cadet
i had tryed this http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7487-headless-install-no-kb-no-mon-only-serial-how-SOLVED and it still dont work.. this is what i get. I had taken the hard drive out and installed the FreeNas onto the hard drive via another computer and then i put it into the server and it dont work.

Tera Term
poweron
lom>
LOM event: +0h37m43s host power on

Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 548MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 4.0, 1536 MB memory installed, Serial #52907425.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:27:4d:a1, Host ID: 83274da1.

Boot device: disk File and args:
Evaluating: boot

Can't open boot device

ok boot disk
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@2,0 File and args:

Can't open boot device

ok

paleoN

Wizard
As jgreco already said SPARC.

So, it wouldn't.

JaimieV

Guru
The Sun V100's use a SPARC cpu. This is a different type of chip that is completely not compatible with Intel chips. FreeNAS is built only for Intel-compatible chips.

You can run Solaris on SPARC machines (that's the native operating system for Sun boxes), and there are Linux builds. Nothing that is dedicated to being a NAS appliance.

demonmaestro

Cadet
The Sun V100's use a SPARC cpu. This is a different type of chip that is completely not compatible with Intel chips. FreeNAS is built only for Intel-compatible chips.

You can run Solaris on SPARC machines (that's the native operating system for Sun boxes), and there are Linux builds. Nothing that is dedicated to being a NAS appliance.

Then what do you sujecst the best use of the sun V100 solaris servers are? I have 2 of them taking room in my rack.

JaimieV

Guru
Run Solaris on them, get some other Unix experience. Otherwise, hand them off to someone who will, check ebay prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.