INSTALL GUIDE: PhotoPrism in a Jail on TrueNAS Core 13.0

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If your particular environment still has the 12.x release in the iocage/releases cache, then you can still create new jails from that. For users who need to download everything from scratch, 12.x is gone for good.

victort

Guru
If your particular environment still has the 12.x release in the iocage/releases cache, then you can still create new jails from that. For users who need to download everything from scratch, 12.x is gone for good.
Noted. Again, wish IX would reveal their intents with CORE.

nikinp

Contributor
Hi nikinp, I originally followed this guide and was having issues with transcoding via ffmpeg. If your issue is the same as mine, then I can say that the issue has been fixed in the latest version (230923-230923)!

The issue was related to the -r option being used in conjunction with the -vsync option -- that's a no-no, at least with the version of ffmpeg I was using. I am not a freebsd or ffmpeg expert, but I'm sure that whatever ffmpeg is currently shipping with the 12.4 jail is what I used. Here's some more info on that issue and the resolution: https://github.com/photoprism/photoprism/issues/3659#event-10455019855..

In any case, all of my issues were resolved by installing to a 13.2 jail, setting my repository to "daily" rather than quarterly (in order to get the very latest gettext and ffmpeg), and compiling using the makefile at https://github.com/huo-ju/photoprism-freebsd-port
I did a fresh install and yes, videos are working. Have you managed to get hardware transcoding working? If so, how?

victort

Guru
I did a fresh install and yes, videos are working. Have you managed to get hardware transcoding working? If so, how?
Just curious if you used a 12.4 jail or 13.2?

nikinp

Contributor
Just curious if you used a 12.4 jail or 13.2?
I used your script. But I don't know what type of jail it created. Is there an easy way to check?

victort

Guru
I used your script. But I don't know what type of jail it created. Is there an easy way to check?
It creates a 12.4 by default. I haven't been able to get photoprism working on 13.2

nikinp

Contributor
Ps @victort If I use the scripts for Photoprism and Nextcloud. If I use the method involving Cloudflare (not opening port 80/443). Do I need to have two different FQDN to use in order to access the services remotely?

victort

Guru
Ps @victort If I use the scripts for Photoprism and Nextcloud. If I use the method involving Cloudflare (not opening port 80/443). Do I need to have two different FQDN to use in order to access the services remotely?
Correct. Problem is that you can only forward ports to one IP. You could add a block in your Nextcloud Caddyfile to reverse proxy to photoprism I suppose.