Install freezes at Looking for installation cdrom on

Status
Not open for further replies.

damon669

Cadet
Any advice please?

NOTE: Orginally installed to an 250gig ide HD, worked ok. Then decided to put freeNAS on to a stick, worked well, but could not do anything with the ide drive which now has 2 x 1 gig partitions, decided to format the disk using Hirens boot CD. Now I have this problem?

Should I just get a new sata drive and start over? a 250 gig ide drive is not going to be much use, but would have sufficed my needs.

warri

Guru
Which file system did you choose when formatting the disk? Is the system booting without the HDD attached?
Try clearing the disk with dd before booting FreeNAS and format it via the FreeNAS WebGUI afterwards (= create pool from GUI).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What you need to do is delete the partition entries.

From Windows, go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.

Choose your 250GB and you'll see 4 very very small partitions. Delete them all by right clicking on each and choosing delete volme*. Then create a new partition on the drive and format it to your desired file system.

* - Be absolutely sure you are on the right drive and chose the right partitions. If you have the wrong drive it will cause an instant loss of data.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure how Hiren's will do it. never used it personally, but I'm sure there is a tool to erase partitions or the partition table. Just don't delete one from the wrong drive or you'll lose all the data on that drive/partition.

damon669

Cadet
No data on drives which is needed, just trying to set this system up!

- - - Updated - - -

Could sure do with that tool though

warri

Guru
You could also use any Linux Live CD / USB like Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.