Install crash on xenserver with latest stable .iso

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumwald

Cadet
Edit: I see the same results on xenserver 6.5 (stable) as well (all else equal except I could only afford 4 GB of RAM).

Normally I would not report this since xenserver 6.6 is still in beta (version used: XenServer Dundee beta.2).
I'm not able to try this out on the latest stable xenserver so I do not know if it is also affected.

However, since an older .iso works great (and I've installed and later updated freenas with that version with no problems) it would seem that a recent change caused the issue so I thought it might help to track down if this was reported early on.

Install works fine using: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950.iso
Install crashes using: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011.iso

VM info:
vCPUs: I've tried with a single and multiple CPUs.
RAM: 8 GB
Storage: One 16 GB disk.

Install procedure:
  • Boot from iso.
  • Select 1: Install / Upgrade option
  • Select the harddrive to install (only one available, as expected).
  • Choose proceed in erase-all-data warning.
  • Enter a password and press ok.
  • FreeNas quickly crashes, see attached screenshot for more info. (the left VM, with the older .iso continues to install as expected).

Attachments

• freenas_xen_install.png
    freenas_xen_install.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

brumwald

Cadet
Not that I am condoning running FreeNas as a VM, but out of curiosity; what happens if you install the older version and then apply the latest updates?

Yeah, I'm aware that it is not the most recommended solution.

Installing with the older version and updating to the latest stable works great.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Interesting, only thing I have seen on the forums regarding "Fatal Trap 12" mentioned FreeNas lacking RAM. I know you stated that you allocated 8GB to the VM. But what happens if you try to allocate more (say 16GB)?

Reference (while not exactly the same circumstances): Fatal Trap 12 - In use by another user

joeschmuck

Old Man
Just for some additional info, I'm using ESXi 6.0U1b with 16GB RAM dedicated and the latest version of FreeNAS installs fine from the ISO, additionally I just tried it with 8GB RAM, it works for me on ESXi. That probably doesn't help much except to say it's not all hypervisors affected.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's always worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.