Install a couple of NTFS drives in FreeNAS without formating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowjim

Cadet
Hi,

Im about to build/buy a NAS and FreeNas looks like a good path.

I have 4 Harddrives that I need to move to a NAS and these drives is formated with NTFS and is almost full. My question is if its possible to just install those in to the FreeNas without formating them?

I have red the FAQ and it sounded like it was possible but I hade to mount them manually?

All I need want is to move my Harddrives to another computer and shared them on the LAN, no raid is needed.

BestRegards

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Snowjim,

I updated the FAQ, importing NTFS from the GUI seems to be working properly now, however....

The import feature for NTFS, MSDOSFS, Ext2, etc. was never really intended to share your data, it's main purpose is to allow people to migrate their data into a native FreeNAS filesystem like UFS or ZFS. IF you do decided to risk it anyway, first I would only do it read-only, second I wouldn't do it! You may end up corrupting your data and loose your files, it will be slow or possibly crash your system. If you don't have a backup of your data, it's just not worth the risk.

snowjim

Cadet
Hi Snowjim,

I updated the FAQ, importing NTFS from the GUI seems to be working properly now, however....

The import feature for NTFS, MSDOSFS, Ext2, etc. was never really intended to share your data, it's main purpose is to allow people to migrate their data into a native FreeNAS filesystem like UFS or ZFS. IF you do decided to risk it anyway, first I would only do it read-only, second I wouldn't do it! You may end up corrupting your data and loose your files, it will be slow or possibly crash your system. If you don't have a backup of your data, it's just not worth the risk.

Okay, so if I just want to have another computer with my current drives with the current data I will have to choose another software on this NAS? Forexample Windows 2008?

snowjim

Cadet
Say that I do install FreeNas and converts my 4 Western Digitals disc, If my Nas do crache Is it easy to just connect the harddrives to my regular computer to get the data? One of the important tasks that a NAS do is to protect the data but if the NAS is failing and its not possible to mount and use the data in another regular Windows7 computer then we god problems.

Brand

Say that I do install FreeNas and converts my 4 Western Digitals disc, If my Nas do crache Is it easy to just connect the harddrives to my regular computer to get the data? One of the important tasks that a NAS do is to protect the data but if the NAS is failing and its not possible to mount and use the data in another regular Windows7 computer then we god problems.

FreeNAS uses ZFS so you should research Windows 7 and ZFS compatibility. A couple minutes of Googling and you will have your answer.

From what you posted it sounds like you would be better suited with Windows Home Server. Since it is still NTFS it doesn't have any of the benefits of ZFS but it does shine in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.