Increase upload max size in NextCloud Jail in TrueNas

jayjays401

Cadet
Hi all, I just setup my TrueNas system and installed NextCloud plugin. I also installed the App in my iPad and tried auto upload photos and videos. Everything works fine until I found a few files just won’t upload. When I checked the log file, I found the following error for the files which failed:

2021-09-25 17:58:34 Network completed upload file: https://192.168.68.118/remote.php/webdav/Photos/iPad Air 4/20-09-14 11-03-49 0778.mov with error code 413 and error description 413: The file is too large

My OS is as follows:

1632746296555.png

when I go into "System" in NextCloud, PHP shows the following:
1632746378784.png

I think the “Upload max size” being 513mb is definitely the issue. I just need some help to adjust this metric in my TrueNas system.

I have zero background in coding, so I guess the place I need to go is TrueNas Jail → Shell, then the following command line pops up:
1632746508753.png

I don’t know what I need to next … if you could help with the next few lines so I can adjust the upload size limit that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

One very silly question, do I need to "Stop" the NextCloud plugin in TrueNas before I make any changes in Jail->Shell then restart the Plugin after changes are made?

Jay

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Probably (depending on your install method), you can use this:
ee /usr/local/etc/php.ini

Then scroll for about an hour until you find the setting you're after and change it, then ESC to exit and select to save... restart the jail.

jayjays401

Cadet
thanks very much @sretalla! I did exactly that:

1632784264149.png

1632784316016.png

1632784422338.png

1632784493225.png

1632784882830.png

regarding the installation, I installed the Plug-in in TrueNas followed by the prompt. (followed instructions in this video - How to Install NextCloud on TrueNAS 12 CORE - YouTube )

after restarting the Jail, I logged in to the NextCloud web server as admin and PHP screen still shows the same 513 max upload size

1632785223182.png

is there another place I need to adjust the php.ini file? using this install method?

thanks

jayjays401

Cadet
An update. I did some research on how to navigate the Shell and changed the parameters in the .ini file in the following directory: /usr/local/etc/php/php.truenas.ini

1632806938161.png

restarted the Jail and the NextCloud plugin, the PHP section seems to have been updated with the new info:

1632806958269.png

however, when I tested on my ipad by shooting a video that’s more than 600M and let the NextCloud App auto upload, the 413 error code “The file is too large” still comes up and the video will not upload.

I think the “php.truenas.ini” just contains info for display only and doesn’t actually change the actual limit. unfortunately, I need to dig further. any help would be much appreciated!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
is there another place I need to adjust the php.ini file?
maybe.

The quickest way to find out would be:

find / -name php.ini

Then you will see all the php.ini files in the jail and you can modify any or all of them.

I guess there may be one in the nextcloud path somewhere, so try that one first.

jayjays401

Cadet
thanks sretalla, did the search and the only place which has the php.ini file seems to be the /etc

1632813648484.png

the interesting thing is, the php.ini file in this directory was actually created by me from the php.ini-production file in the same directory using the "CP" function. I did it after reading a post online: How to install Nextcloud on FreeNAS in an iocage jail with hardened security - Samuel Dowling

1632813865565.png

when I tried to use the command "nano", the Shell tells me this is not a valid command. so I used "ee". this obviously didn't work.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

jayjays401

Cadet
thanks again. so I tried that and only place I can find it is /usr/local/www/nextcloud/config/config.php. went in there and it's a pretty short doc, nothing in there mentions upload max filesize. I tried to manually add the three lines in the file and save&exit. restarted NextCloud and encountered a "server error" when I tried to get into the NextCloud server. So I had to delete the three lines again, server came back to normal afterwards.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess the next thing to try would be to add a php.ini (copy) in the nextcloud root (/usr/local/www/nextcloud/)... or maybe in the config directory where the config.php is.

And a last option would be to look at the default php.ini location for the webserver (apache or nginx, I guess).

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
php.ini is located in /usr/local/etc on FreeBSD. Did you restart the php-fpm service (or the entire jail) after your changes?

sretalla