Inconsistent SMB/CIFS access from non-Windows clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperBlast

Cadet
I've been having an issue with clients accessing shares with a large amount of files, some flat, some with a lot of subdirectories, that all navigate normally and fast from my Windows 7/10 hosts. Any Linux or OSX host seems to have trouble browsing them where it takes an initial 10 seconds to load, anytime they are accessed. They never seem to cache.
I have no L2ARC, and am thinking I might need to give that a try. My current setup is Z2 with six 6TB disks and 32GB or ECC memory. I tried Cyerjock's guide (SMB Auxiliary Parameters) as well as a few other tweaks mentioned on here, but can't seem to improve performance. Is this a limitation with the SMB implementation on OSX and Linux? Do I just need to trim down the amount of files per share? Or share from NFS instead?

nojohnny101

Wizard
L2ARC is unlikely to help you given your hardware (would be helpful if you listed full hardware specs and FN version).

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

HyperBlast

Cadet
Good point, kind of dumb to leave that info out:

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)
Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2758 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 32703MB

My OS X version 10.12.6 but I've noticed it with older versions of both FreeNAS and OS X/Linux.

Another weird note is that I did a file count of two shares and they're almost identical, so I'm wondering if there is some other issue like compressed files causing the problem. Starting to think this is a client-side issue and not a FreeNAS issue.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Have you tried this modification to OS X (a known bug).
https://dpron.com/os-x-10-11-5-slow-smb/

I assume you have tested multiple client machines? Is the performance bad when browsing directories with a large number of files. What about a directory with only a few files (each files could be large in size though)?

Status
Not open for further replies.