import/mount of encrypted volumes after hd crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe99

Dabbler
Hello forum,

I am totally new to FreeNAS and probably using the wrong terms :smile: Prior to rely on FreeNAS, I would like to know
what to do in the following situation:

HW of the mini FreeNAS device:
- 1 disk with the operating system and FreeNAS
- 1 disk with encrypted data (which fails, but backup is available)

Question:
How can encrypted data be restored to a newly installed FreeNAS device? Or can the whole hd be mounted?

Thank you very much for any feedback!

Joe

joeschmuck

Old Man
While I'd like to be able to answer this, I can't because I don't use encrypted volumes so I don't feel comfortable giving advice other than referencing the user manual. But I do have a question... You state your encrypted data fails, can you explain this a bit more. Also you state that one disk is the OS and FreeNAS, are you stating that you have an entire hard drive in which FreeNAS is installed on or that you have something else going on?

I think you made a great statement that you do have a backup, too many people do not.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You're being awfully vague. Setting aside the fact that a single disk is a horrible setup for any sort of critical data, you need to explain what you have and what you want to do. You say you have a backup, how was it made?

Joe99

Dabbler
Hello

Thank you for the reply! I probably should have asked this way:

Due to a hd crash, FreeNAS has to be reinstalled. Can the data-disks with encrypted pool
be restored as described the User Guide (v 11.1-U6) 8.1.5 - 8.1.6 and everything behaves
like before, or is there additional customization of FreeNAS required?

Thank you very much for evey help!

Joe

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.