Iintel 82579LM vs 82574L

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyMonkey

Contributor
I have an Intel SP1200KPR motherboard which has dual Intel network controllers on it. One is a 82579LM, and the other is a 82574L.

Does anyone know if these are equally supported under FreeNAS? They both seem to work fine, but I've not comprehensively tested them to compare performance. In the docs I could find, the only difference seemed to be that one of them supports some lower power modes during periods of inactivity.

Anyone have any info on support or compared performance?

Thanks,
Bryce

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Addressed three days ago.

You need not concern yourself except perhaps if you are running maxxed out ethernets constantly with underpowered CPU's, in which case I suspect the CT would be slightly less than full performance. There is a reason that this is a common configuration seen on hundreds of models of server boards ... it works very well while also being a bit less expensive.

Dusan

Guru
Are you sure about 79LM being server component and 74L being a desktop one? Any measurement to support the 74L (I assume CT == 74L) lower performance claim? This intel brochure (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...chures/ethernet-controllers-phys-brochure.pdf) lists 79LMs application area as mobile and embedded, while 74L is listed as server and embedded. Also, 74L provides server features (VLAN, IPMI pass-through) you won't find on 79LM. In addition, Supermicro X9SCL+-F (the more expensive alternative to X9SCL-F) has two 74Ls instead of 74L + 79LM. Why would Supermicro do that, if 76LM was the better controller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.