IErrors.. What is causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evillone

Explorer
Greetings all,

Just wondering if someone can tell me why i might be seeing these errors in my daily output -
See below and thanks in advance guys!

Ierrs = 49963

Network interface status:
Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Idrop Opkts Oerrs Coll
sk0 1500 <Link#1> 00:18:f3:97:af:c1 839320955 49963 0 2067736417 0 0
sk0 1500 192.168.1.0 192.168.1.60 839263377 - - 2067727189 - -

System
BuildFreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)PlatformIntel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHzMemory4080MBSystem TimeSun Jul 19 10:58:44 EDT 2015Uptime10:58AM up 9 days, 12:12, 0 usersLoad Average0.07, 0.02, 0.01Connected through192.168.1.60

gpsguy

A Google search will turn up some ideas, for example: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-October/060157.html

We prefer more detailed information about your hardware, ie. mobo, RAM, CPU, NIC, ...

Assuming you are running ZFS on FreeNAS, you only have 1/2 the RAM requirement. While it probably won't help this issue, it could cause other problems. If you have a Realtek NIC, they are known to cause problems.

Your version of FreeNAS is quite old. I'd suggest upgrading - but you'll want to consider replacing the hardware with an ECC capable system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, your device is a Marvell (sk driver), which we don't recommend. I'm not even sure I've seen anyone use one of those on this forum yet. But as you are running an ancient version of FreeNAS, your hardware isn't anything we'd recommend (nevermind also being inadequate).

Seems you have a lot of systemic issues that should be resolved if you are needing to improve the system. I'm betting if you swap out your hardware with stuff that is more appropriate for FreeNAS you'll probably find the issue goes away.

ierrs basically mean packets are being corrupted as they come in. Could be the cable (unlikely since the outgoing isn't having errors), the driver, the NIC, the switch, etc.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Marvell GbE does sound odd. I think they were somewhat popular in the early days of GbE, but I haven't seen a product with one in a long time.

evillone

Explorer
Hey Guys! I really appreciate your help and comments, trust me... :)

So now that I'm seeing all these errors and have great recommendations from the pro's I am thinking of rebuilding my system and xfering all drives over.

I have 1st copied and backed up the CFG file -

now onto new hardware - - So without going too crazy ( funds lacking ) this is what I'm thinking of purchasing, let me know what you guys think -

FYI - we do a lot of streaming off the box. and I copy tons of data too and from on a regular basis - ( 2 people streaming blu ray quality stuff for now) I am running ZFS - with 6x 3TB

And even with the crap system im running now, we have never run into any issues, but i feel this is going to catch up with me soon if i dont do anything about it now.

MOTHERBOARD -
SUPERMICRO A1SA7-2750F
Key Features
1. Intel® Atom processor C2750, SoC,
FCBGA 1283, 20W 8-Core
2. Up to 64GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC or
non ECC UDIMM in 4 DIMM sockets
3. Dual GbE LAN ports via SoC i354
4. IPMI with dedicated LAN
5. LSI 2116 controller for 16x SATA3 /
SAS2 ports plus 1x SATA3 SMCI
SATA DOM
6. 1x PCI-E 2.0 x4 (in x8) slot
7. 3x USB 2.0 (2 rear + 1 Type A)
8. Operating Temperature: 0°C - 50°C

MEMORY
LOOKING FOR 24GIGS of
Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11/8

Pros? cons?

again, thanks for all your help guys.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

evillone

Explorer
Hey guys thanks for all the info - ive taken your advice and decided to upgrade.

so im going to get my hands on a DELL T5500 for my NAS - 6 core xeon / 24 gigs ECC ram

Question, backup config, reinstall freenas on new machine, import config?

Is this the correct way to xfer my NAS to a NEW BOX???

Any and all comments are appreciated -

Thanks in advance All !!!

make sure that dell T5500 has the appropriate hardware, intel SATA controller, or a added HBA that is recommended, etc. As far as your question, you can in theory just take the USB stick/boot device to that new server and plug it in and boot it and it will boot....But i would say take a backup of the config, put it in a safe place, and then take the USB/boot device to the new server and plug it in and fire it up and see if it comes online without a hitch, if you have to reinstall then so be it and just upload the config.

evillone

Explorer
Awesome, thanks for the quick response,
I will check the box out once i get it and let you guys know.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

evillone

Explorer
One thing i should mention, though,, i am running an older version of FREENAS BuildFreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE

is it better to install an newer version and import the config?

or do as you mentioned above, get everything working, and maybe update after ?

Oh errr im gonna wait for another member who knows more about the older versions and how to progress to answer, as i am not sure and dont want to give you wrong information.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't use the T5500. The spec sheet makes no mention of *any* BSD support of any kind, it's a workstation motherboard (so it had hardware that can cause problems like audio... and no, disabling it in the BIOS doesn't make it 'go away'), Broadcom NIC, need I say more?

It contains very little that we recommend for FreeNAS.......

As for the build, just take your boot device and put it on the new machine. If you are going to upgrade, you'll have many upgrades to do to avoid config file problems... for you that would be...

In that order and don't skip any.

I definitely wouldn't try to use a newer OS than 8.2.0 since that's what your config file is compatible with.

evillone

Explorer
great thanks for the info,

Unfortunately i don't have much choice with the hardware as this is all i have right now (DELL 5500) better than my old dual core :p

I can buy a diff nic card and take care of that issue, but you guys think that the T5500 is that bad otherwise??

Thanks again for all the input

Hey, just found your other post, reading through it now -

Hardware recommendations (read this first)

Last edited:

evillone

Explorer
Grabbed a GB Intel NIC today :)
Starting to back up everything today, and am looking at doing a fresh install and build once all is backed up.
Have to stick with the T5500 ( its all i got ) going to have to make the best of it.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
I wouldn't say that the T5500 is a particularly terrible choice for FreeNAS; it's just not a recommended choice. Cyberjock's a bit conservative when it comes to hardware recommendation, but with good reason. We have seen many people here on the forums disregard the hardware recommendations, and expect us to fix it for them when everything goes south.

The biggest thing is to be aware that you may have issues due to less than perfectly compatible hardware. In the most likely case, those issues will lead to reduced performance, and weird glitches. In the extreme case, those issue could create problems that ultimately lead to corrupted data. You'll probably not get very much help here on those issues until you get "recommended" hardware.

In other words, if you don't expect us to give you a shoulder to cry on if it goes belly up for you, you'll be fine :D

In all seriousness, I think the T-series workstations from Dell are a great piece of kit for the home enthusiast. However, I have never run an BSD derivative on them, so I can't comment on compatibility there. Congratulations on blazing new ground! ;) However, as far as Linux stuff goes, they work a treat. I have a T7500 right now as my home hypervisor running XenServer, and have helped friends set up servers and hypervisors running many different Linux or Windows OSes over the years.

EDIT: FYI, the T-series workstations I believe max out at 2TB drives. This may in fact make it highly undesirable for FreeNAS. So you may need to get a M1015 or similar if you want decent sized hard drives. Which is another reason why we so strongly recommend staying with recommended hardware :cool:

Last edited:

evillone

Explorer
Thanks for all the info Nick2253,

I will have to do some testing with a 3tb drive before i move everything over. Worse case scenario a new drive controller may be in order ;) and well see how it goes.

Thanks again really appreciate it !!

evillone

Explorer
Yep you were right, MB did not detect 3TB - update the BIOS all is well -
Controller NOT detecting 3tb - will need to be replaced ;)

evillone

Explorer
Not sure if anyone cares at this point, but i will post a follow up anyway ! :P

So i got the t5500 with 6x 3TB drives running on FREENAS 9.3, imported my config from 8.2 , it updated the DB and all my stuff is back!!

Much faster now of course, and BTW FREENAS is amazing!! , didnt have to reboot anything on the network, all clients are connecting as if nothing happened.

Thanks again for all your help guys!!

Until the Next Time !! ;)

Nick2253

Wizard
Did you get a new controller, or was updating the firmware enough to handle the larger drives?

EDIT: Also, it's strongly not recommended to use configurations on mis-matched versions. We have seen a number of threads here where it seemed to work initially, but created a ton of problems down the road. Lock-ups, data loss, silent corruption, you name it. I would really suggest that you redo the config manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.