iDrac service module install on Scale?

Daisuke

Contributor
Scale runs on Debian and I would like to install dcism, however apt is disabled:
Code:
# uname -a
Linux uranus.domain.com 5.10.93+truenas #1 SMP Tue Mar 22 10:30:32 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# apt search dcism
zsh: permission denied: apt

What is the correct way to install the iDrac service module? I run TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.1 on a Dell R720XD.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Apparently the fact that SCALE is built on Linux has led many people to incorrectly believe that you can treat it as a generic Linux distro, installing (and possibly removing) software at will. This isn't true, any more than it ever was for CORE and its predecessors. TrueNAS (CORE and SCALE) is an appliance, designed and intended to run with only the included software, and therefore there is no supported way to install software into the base system*. If you think this should be added (and it seems like a reasonable thing to add), put in a ticket using the Report a Bug link at the top of the page for the devs to consider it.

*There are some exceptions, most naturally anything that's a script, but also anything that comes as a single, standalone binary. Those you can install in a place of your choosing outside of the normal hierarchy (so don't put it in /usr/bin/, for example). But for the most part, no, you can't add software to SCALE itself.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can't find any evidence that it's it's included, and unfortunately that Reddit post is pretty light on relevant details. I understand that apt was enabled (perhaps inadvertently) when SCALE was in pre-release status; it may be the case that the comment was made during that time.

The apt binary is there, at /usr/bin/apt. You could always add the execute permission with chmod +x /usr/bin/apt. But chances are any changes you made would go away when you installed the next update. Best bet, as I mentioned above, is to file a ticket asking this to be added to the system.

Brad T

Dabbler
For those interested, Jira: NAS-115966.
I'm running a Dell PowerEdge R420 attached to a disk shelf; adding the (ability to add the) Dell iDRAC service module into the OS interests me as well.
I've upvoted the issue.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does the service module add any meaningful value? Whenever I look at the feature set, I think to mysefl "ugh, bloatware... pass...".

Uluze2

Cadet
Has there been any more to this I have three soon to be four dells in the rack and would like to get this going on them

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But to what end? Half the features are tied to Windows, half of what's left is irrelevant on TrueNAS, and the remaining bits are trivial (Read the hostname? Replicate logs? View host NIC configuration?).

If you're dead set on this, you can turn on dev mode, install whatever you want and turn on a big, bright light that says "I used dev mode" that's going scare people away from helping you. Great power, great responsibility and all that...