Idiots guide to Upnp? (MiniDLNA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobango

Dabbler
I just set up FreeNas last night on an old laptop. This is for a simple home NAS for storage and accessing data across all devices, and streaming to the PS3. I am using the X64 8.2 latest - the laptop has an AMD64 Processor and 4 GB RAM. I added a 1 TB HDD to the laptop and it is connected to my router.

I used this guide here (which is old but I was able to follow it): http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/01/how-to-set-up-a-home-file-server-using-freenas/

I set up a volume called HOMENAS (didnt know what to call them) and then I set up a Windows CIFS called NASSHARE. I turned on CIFS in services.

I was looking for UPNP to turn it on but I could not find it anywhere in services or plugins. I have searched for a guide on how to get it working but I have not found one that is for this latest version 8.2.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to enable UPNP so I can stream to my PS3? Is it something to do with plugins that now need installed? Is there anything else I should install? Apologies if there is a guide already but I did not find it - please remember it should be noob friendly (screenshots help!).

Thanks all.

srhowl

Cadet
You will need to install the Plugins jail and then either the MiniDLNA or the Serviio plugin.

Suggest you try the MiniDLNA first. Plenty of instructions in this forum as to how to install it...

bingobango

Dabbler
Thanks - any links on how to install the jail and then plugin? Preferably noob friendly?

bingobango

Dabbler
OK I have made some progress by following this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4zIZX8pOas

but getting this error when trying to turn on MiniDLNA: "MiniDLNA data did not validate, configure it first."

Here is what I did....

I first created 2 datasets:
Volume Path
HOMENAS/Media /mnt/HOMENAS/Media
HOMENAS/PluginsJail /mnt/HOMENAS/PluginsJail

I downloaded the jail pbi and created the jail and this is the jail path: /mnt/HOMENAS/PluginsJail
JailName: PluglinsJ
Ip I gave it: 192.168.0.12
Netmask: /24 255.255.255.0
Plugins archive path: /mnt/HOMENAS/Media

Does this look ok - I am able to turn on plugins.

When I install the minidlna - it DOES NOT appear in the tree on the left to be configured. Any ideas as to why? I don't know how to check logs or anything. I really need some noob help here :(

bingobango

Dabbler
typing it again

I created 2 dataset as per this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4zIZX8pOas

Volume Path
HOMENAS/Media /mnt/HOMENAS/Media

HOMENAS/PluginsJail /mnt/HOMENAS/PluginsJail

I was able to install the jail and used the following settings
Plugins jail path: /mnt/HOMENAS/PluginsJail
Plugin name: PluglinsJ
Jail IP: 192.168.0.12 (I just picked this, nothing else is using it)
Jail ip mask: 255.255.255.0 (got this from windows cmd ipconfig)
Plugins archive path: /mnt/HOMENAS/Media

Turned "on" the plugins and then I went to Plugins and installed the minidlna amd64 version (for version 8.2 of freenas - minidlna-1.0.22_3-amd64)

All day the miniDLNA configuration was ot appearing in the tree on the elft, but now it has appeared. I went in and added the settings and saved "successfully". When I try and turn it on I get this:

"MiniDLNA data did not validate, configure it first."

When I click on miniDLNA in the left and plugin tree - the settings are not saved? Should they be saved (like friendly name etc?)

Do you need to create a mount point also whatever that is?

I appreciate the help on this, I kow it can be frustrating helping out noobs but we all start somewhere. I have been googling this all day, the instructions are not too clear.

bingobango

Dabbler
Any ideas here? At my wits end. I created a mount point too using a YouTube video as a guide, by entering commands in the shell. But still the minidlna Will not turn "on"...

Status
Not open for further replies.