Ideas for a new Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurdo1337

Dabbler
Oh hai

I'm planning my new storage and would like some input of more experienced users.

I have the following hardware:
  • Supermicro A1SRM-2758F with 32GB ECC RAM, 4 NICs, a Samsung 850 as systemdisk
  • A bunch of HBAs: HPE P212, HPE H240, RocketRAID 2720SGL
  • 4x8TB WD Red, 4x8 TB Seagate Ironwolf
  • Synology DS1511+ with 5x3TB WD Green, running perfectly since about 5 years in a RAID5
  • 2 Intel NUC with Proxmox (Clustered) with about 10 VMs (~100GB Used Storage, ~800GB Provisioned)
The Supermicro board is currently running nas4free with the WD Reds in a RAIDZ1 configuration.
Every NIC serves a special purpose (VM-Hosts, VM-Backup, Backup to Synology, Other Accesses) since I didn't get LAGG to work properly.
It's mainly used as a Storage for my VMs.
The DS1511+ is hosting various content (media, documents, backup for weekly vm snapshots).
I bought the Ironwolfs and now want to setup a new system as my main storage.
The Synology DS1511+ goes to my parents or my brother as external backup storage for the most important stuff like photos, documents and weekly VM backups.

Requirements:
  • Shares have to be encrypted
  • SMB and NFS with ~70MB/sec R/W is sufficient
  • I want to have automated daily snapshots to mitigate ransomware
  • I don't need any fancy features like jails, docker, dedup, apps, whatever
Current Ideas:

1. Install Proxmox on the Supermicro-Board, run FreeNAS 10 with HBA Passthroughed, RAIDZ2 over the 8x8TB Disks
2. Install FreeNAS 10 on the Supermicro-Board, RAIDZ2 over the 8x8TB Disks
2.1. Maybe: Buy two additional 500GB SSDs and use them as a mirrored VM-Storage.Disable Sync.
2.2. Maybe: Get some SSDs for a SLOG.
3. Wait for Xpenology 6.1, since i'm somewhat more familiar with it.
4. Install Ubuntu Server 16.04 instead of FreeNAS 10.

Questions:
  • Does anyone use a virtual FreeNAS? What are you're experiences with it in terms of speed and reliability? Is this article still valid? http://www.freenas.org/blog/yes-you-can-virtualize-freenas/
  • This mainboard has an Atom C2758, I'm expecting a replacement within the next 12 months, which will be the easiest setup to change the mainboard without having to reconfigure anything?
  • Is FreeNAS 10 going to be stable enough in ~2 weeks or should i wait a few months?
  • Where am i creating technical debt which can only be solved by buying ~60TB of disks and then copying everything?
I hope i have covered anything i wanted to ask :3

Thanks in advance and best regards

joeschmuck

Old Man
Does anyone use a virtual FreeNAS?
I'm only going to answer what I know best and FreeNAS works fine on ESXi. VMWare Tools is built into FreeNAS so it works every well. I've seen some people with issues with Proxmox but that doesn't mean it's not reliable, I have not personally used it. ESXi is free too but I do understand there are some ease of use features with Proxmox.

2.2. Maybe: Get some SSDs for a SLOG.
Based on your requirements I'm not sure why you would want this, also you "should" have 64GB or more of RAM.

Since you didn't want anything fancy, why shift from NAS4Free?

spurdo1337

Dabbler
Hi

Just wanted to follow up here:
Unfortunately the C2758 does not support VT-D, therefore I installed FreeNas 10 Nightlies directly on the hardware and went with an HPE H240 HBA.
It's working okay, still messing around with NFS/SMB Settings.

Since you didn't want anything fancy, why shift from NAS4Free?

I don't like the UI :3

Status
Not open for further replies.