IBM 'HUS723020ALS640' drives not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubnetMask

Contributor
I just got some 'new' IBM 'HUS723020ALS640' drives. Ran them through the badblocks paces on a Ubuntu server and they came out showing no errors.

Added them to my FreeNAS box, and when I went to make a new volume to test them I got nothing but errors. Basically, it appeared to stop at the first drive that it had issues with, but as I removed them one by one (by serial number), trying to make some kind of volume after removing each drive, all the IBM drives did the same thing. The error I got was (only difference being the drive number, obviously):

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-U1 (f7e246b8f)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.41.44/storage/volumemanager/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
  42.			 response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
  249.			 response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
  178.			 response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  162.		 return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  23.				 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/storage/views.py" in volumemanager
  148.		 if form.is_valid() and form.save():
File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py" in save
  298.				 notifier().create_volume(volume, groups=grouped, init_rand=init_rand)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in create_volume
  752.			 vdevs = self.__prepare_zfs_vdev(vgrp['disks'], vdev_swapsize, encrypt, volume)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __prepare_zfs_vdev
  687.								  swapsize=swapsize)
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in __gpt_labeldisk
  359.				 raise MiddlewareError(f'Unable to GPT format the disk "{devname}": {error}')

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /storage/volumemanager/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: Unable to GPT format the disk "da9": gpart: Invalid argument
]

Before trying to create the new volume, I did notice that it did seem to go sideways after the boot as I wasn't able to get to the webui - I had to reboot it to get it back up, and after that, I did notice various error messages that I've never seen before on the console, related to these disks.

Any ideas? Is is something dumb and easily salvageable, or should I send these drives back?

styno

Patron
Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
From the command line, try:
sg_format /dev/<$YOURDRIVE>

What does block size and logical block size indicate? 512? Or 520/528?

Status
Not open for further replies.