BUILD IBM BR10I b3/b1 (1068E) and IBM backplane 6 port expander

Status
Not open for further replies.

xayide

Cadet
I have two BR10I and 4 x IBM 6 port SAS backplanes. Normaly the backplanes is only one in a server so having two on each HBA is not the normal. I tried using two of these for a 12 disk setup on each card. Problem is that only one of the expanders works at one time. I tested them all individually and the do work. As soon as I connected two to one HBA one of them fails and the disks go offline after access or init. I can see the disks but the will say PD offline once I try to add them in freeness. Same in windows and same if I use an M5015 to try and make a raid volume for 2 expanders to same card.

Is there something that needs to be changed to get two expanders to work on the same HBA? I mean 2 x 6 disks on an 8 port HBA should be no problem right?

http://store.flagshiptech.com/ibm-44w3110-6-bay-lff-sas-backplane-xseries-x3650/

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there something that needs to be changed to get two expanders to work on the same HBA? I mean 2 x 6 disks on an 8 port HBA should be no problem right?
The IBM SAS backplane has an integrated expander chip to allow 6 drives to share 4 SAS lanes. The backplane must have a fixed enclosure ID and it must be the same, which creates a conflict in the SAS controller. The SAS expander backplanes and expander chassis that I have dealt with in the past either automatically enumerated themselves based on where they were connected in the chain or they had a mechanism for manually setting the ID. If you dig into the documentation for the drive backplane, you may find a way to set it either with a jumper or through software.

upload_2018-4-20_9-2-55.png

I have a system with four of these attached and they each enumerated automatically based on where they were in the chain. It isn't something you usually need to configure.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

xayide

Cadet
I couldn't even get the backplanes to work if I used one on each controller. If I did the second port on the 2 port controller was unusable. Seems these backplanes take the whole controller no matter what you do.

Cyberdyne

Cadet
Sounds graet! I hope I can help you as well. I only have one backplane but if I get that working I can try to find an other one for testing. To bad that IBM is not willing to help in any way.

Cyberdyne

Cadet
Thank you very much! Is the adapter on the second picture the adapter which you use? The molex-connector only has 5v, 12v and ground. Didn't you connect the 3.3v? I thought the backplane electronic needs the 3.3v?!

And 6 drives and a backplane all powered by one molex-connector ... do the cables get hot?

xayide

Cadet
No cables are fine and i actialy did connect 3,3v from the server for while to test but no difference

Cyberdyne

Cadet
You say, that I do not need to connect the 3.3v Pins? I have tested it with all Pins connected and that worked just fine.

xayide

Cadet
It does work if I only use one of these. But connecting two of these to the same controller makes it behave oddly and disconnecting disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.