i7-8700T NAS Build with Silverstone Technology CS380B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuco_S

Cadet
Trying to build out a lightning fast FreeNAS build with the following starting components:
  • i7-8700T
  • Silverstone CS380B Case
  • (8) 12 TB NAS Drives
  • 32 GB DDR4 RAM

Need ideas for PSU, Motherboard and anything else required to build it......mainly the motherboard though. I would like the MOBO to have an m.2 NVME slot (or two) to use for the FreeNAS...so that it boots quickly.

Uses: Hosting multiple TB of video files that are served up by KODI and PLEX. Would like to be able to transcode files for Plex syncing really fast. I also have a lot of 4K videos that I would like to be able to handle. I currently have a 12 bay Synology (DS3612xs) unit with an i3 processor (INTEL Core i3-2100).

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Hi FreeNAS require ECC RAM so you need a cpu that support ecc like the xeon, even most of the pentium support ECC but keep in mind that intel core i5 and i7 don't support ECC ram
You will also need a server motherboard and a ups, but i'm not really an expert so i just wrote that so you have an idea of what to buy.
There are people here more qualified than me who will help you.
EDIT you should read that
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

kdragon75

Wizard
PLEASE for the love of all that is NAS, read the hardware guide.
m.2 NVME slot (or two) to use for the FreeNAS...so that it boots quickly.
How often do you think you will be rebooting a server? Any sata SSD will be MORE than fast enough to boot. NVMe will not make it boot any faster. Your FAR better off spending more on a high clock CPU and gobs of RAM. If you feel the NEED to use NVMe then use that for your jails and/or L2ARC.

You also need to think about your drive layout. How important is your data? Do you mind restoring from backups? Do you HAVE backups? With 12TB drives you will want at least 2 drive redundancy (RAIDz2) but even then 8 drives wide is getting kind of big.

Tuco_S

Cadet
Ahhhh....OK. I'd prefer to stick with Synology 12 bay devices but they've gone soft with the processors.

kdragon75

Wizard

Such_Wolf

Dabbler
Well let's be clear without ECC ram you could lose all of your data.
it is not necessary but it can happen and many people have lose their data because they didn't use ECC.

kdragon75

Wizard
Well let's be clear without ECC ram you could lose all of your data.
it is not necessary but it can happen and many people have lose their data because they didn't use ECC.
It's still FAR safer than the computer your running right now. Unless your running ZFS with ECC on your laptop/desktop... Also before you mention it, there is no scrub of death due to bad memory.

pro lamer

Guru
intel core i5 and i7
Just for sanity: in theory some do https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&FamilyText=Intel® Core™ Processors&ECCMemory=true but not the one mentioned of course.

And I guess it's more a theory :)

I support the below, specifically kdragon75 (or someone else but I can't remember who nor where) has linked to a post or blog debunking the SoD myth recently in our forums:
It's still FAR safer than the computer your running right now. Unless your running ZFS with ECC on your laptop/desktop... Also before you mention it, there is no scrub of death due to bad memory.
Anyway I am rather a noob :)

transcode files for Plex syncing really fast. I also have a lot of 4K videos that I would like to be able to handle.
The CPU is 12600 passmark so it should be enough for 4K H.264 transcoding (but check plex forums because high bitrates or FPS may break the 2000/FullHD rule of thumb) with PLEX. Not enough for 4K HEVC/h265 I guess unless you direct play (my colleague does it other way. write if you want more details).

Sent from my mobile phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.