I want to update my FreeNAS box, how do I go about doing that?

zbrown90

Dabbler
Hello everyone!

Im new to this whole community and finally joined to ask this question. I hope Im posting in the right section.

I built my FreeNAS box a few months ago out of an old Dell Optiplex 760 w/ a Core2Duo, 8GB ram, and two 2TB WD Reds.

The machine has worked great but Ive recently acquired a Fujitsu M470-2 Power from work that wasnt being used anymore. This PC has a quad core Xeon @ 2GHz, 8GB ECC ram (up-gradable to 48GB), and more bays for HDDs.

http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-CELSIUS-M470-2.pdf

My question is how do I go about swapping over my HDDs over to the new machine? Do I need to backup everything on my old box and start over from scratch? Do I need to install FreeNAS over the existing install on my USB drive? Or can I plug in my USB stick into the new machine and have it work? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Take hard drives and USB out of old system.

Place hard drives and USB in new system.

Power on.

Fix IP address.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Keep an eye on network performance if you're using the on board NIC. It's a Realtek and their performance can be less than satisfactory to a downright PIA.

zbrown90

Dabbler
Well I am having issues with the transition. I swapped over the HDD's and USB drive. I made sure to connect the HDD's to the correct SATA number. The system will not boot up though. These are the last messages from the console. Looks like it says its trying to mount the ZFS drives then nothing.

hefras and efer do not align
ipmi0: using ksc interface

Am I just not waiting long enough for the system to do its thing?

zbrown90

Dabbler
Keep an eye on network performance if you're using the on board NIC. It's a Realtek and their performance can be less than satisfactory to a downright PIA.

Would you advise me to purchase another NIC to run off of?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Port numbers matter not.

From the sound of it that server may not be compatible with freenas. Check your bios options and start playing.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Would you advise me to purchase another NIC to run off of?

No. Try it and see how it works it may work just fine. If you get it up and running and see erratic network performance you know why.

zbrown90

Dabbler
No. Try it and see how it works it may work just fine. If you get it up and running and see erratic network performance you know why.

Thanks, ill keep an eye out for that if I am able to get this running.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend using a new/different USB stick (or SSD/Drive) and try installing FreeNas to that on the Fujitsu M470-2. Make sure you have your other drives and USB stick disconnected or not in the box at all. This will at least allow you to see if the system works with FreeNas without the chance of mucking anything up...

jon9314

Cadet
i know this is an old thread..... did you end up getting it to work? i have the same issue with the boot stalling at the same spot