BUILD Help and feedback on upgrading my existing freenas box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecjam

Cadet
Hello all,

I've been using Freenas for just over 2 years now in my first build. So far so good, but I'm running out of space and now I have some important decisions to make before I upgrade my existing or build my new box.

My usage for freenas is home use to store all my media (dvd iso, avi, mkv, mp3) some program backups and a regularly synced copy of my PC Documents folder. Video files account for ~70%.

I also use a few jails for owncloud and plex and in future I want to expand this to also run a web development server (debian / amp / git / jenkins / possibly mailserver ..) for my home office work (I'm a web dev).

My current box has the following setup (it was a noob low power / little money build, so please bear with me):

I realise I have been lucky to not have lost my data so far, so it is even more important that I get my next build right. My capacity is now above the 80% limit (again my own fault for not keeping an eye on it) and I have powered my box down until I have my new build setup to avoid last minute corruption or loss of data.

All things considered my new build should have the following characteristics:

• EEC support a must so I have to replace the MoBo, there is no doubt about that.
  • I should probably get a new case for my new MoBo as well as the Lian Li only supports up to 7 HDDs. For my new build 8 x HDD 3,5" should be a starting point

1. at least 8 Sata ports to be future proof (Intel preferred)
  2. Intel LAN
  3. a minimum of 4 RAM Slots (DDR3 EEC)
  4. anything else is nice, but not essential
In the search for the cheapest way of doing this:

1. Get a Server Case prewired

I have looked and found what seems to be a great deal on the following system for 300 Euro (new):
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4u/7046/sys-7046a-t.cfm

It includes the following MoBo:
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAi.cfm

2. To this get a cheap Xeon (I should be able to run this MoBo with only 1 CPU or?)

Possibilities are

Intel Xeon DP E5504, 4x 2.00GHz, Sockel 1366, boxed (BX80602E5504) (~80 Euro)
    Intel Xeon DP E5520, 4x 2.26GHz, Sockel 1366, tray (~92 Euro)
    Intel Xeon DP E5530, 4x 2.40GHz, Sockel 1366, boxed (BX80602E5530) (~113 Euro)
    Intel Xeon DP E5506, 4x 2.13GHz, Sockel 1366, tray (AT80602000798AA) (~135 Euro)

3. RAM:

To get the RAM required to run ZFS with 8TB+ I should probably get 8GB sticks:

4 x Samsung DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1333, CL9, reg ECC (M393B1K70CHD-CH9) (~70 Euro)
  4. HDD:

Since I've gone over the 80% mark on my current Volume I plan to set up the new Volume first and copy the data over (rather than expanding by replacing drives with higher capacity drives one by one and resilver), then disassemble the old box and add the 4 x 3TG drives to the new box as a new volume. So depending on what ZFS I use

6 x WD REDs 4TB or above (RaidZ2)
    7 x " for RaidZ3

Is it worth setting up new Volumes in RaidZ3 rather than 2?
Freenas will boot of a USB just as my current set up.

---- edit ---

or I could only update my MoBo & Ram

• Get a new mobo in mini ITX with EEC support ( ASRock C2550D4I ~ 280 Euro)
  • Get new RAM with EEC
  • Get higher capacity drives (as I only have space for 7 in the case)

Pros: Possibly more cost effective than setting up a whole new box.
Cons: I will always run into issues, be it the lack of space in the case for more HDDs or more RAM on the mini-ITX or adding more sata ports, etc ..

My questions to you is, can you give me any feedback on my thoughts. Are there any errors in my thought process and are the parts I listed a possibly good nasbox with a low power consumption?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:

tecjam

Cadet
So I guess no one has any comments on the Supermicro X8DAi.

Feel free to delete this thread. I'll just go with my gut feeling then.

mjws00

Guru
You are barely over 24 hours. Asking for comments on an x8DAi that is extremely unlikely to be in use by active users. There's a whole wall of text with all kinds of jumping around and few questions marks. I like answering hardware questions, but this thread is difficult to follow.

Here is the bottom line:
1. The old server is slow and will suck power like crazy. You get a quality Supermicro case, but most of us think RACK when it comes to SM. So you jump out of the realm of mass user experience. Old whitebox gear is stable and reliable... so there is no reason you can't use it. The workstation board is meh but ok. You don't seem to be saving much over a newer option.

2. The Avoton option is heavily discussed. If you upgrade to the C2750DI you essentially have a iX mini. Which is a great option and easy on power.

3. Z3 is likely a waste for you.

4. If you need future expansion. Jump to a mATX case and just buy a Supermicro board from the hardware sticky. The options listed and explained are superb.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.