I think I messed up something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhoot

Patron
So today I just thought of experimenting with FTP of a portion of my disk. I made a data set set permissions for that dataset set the size (50G) and started. Later on I thought of picking up the project on another day. So I just went reverse order and deleted the dataset.
Then I dunno.. Suddenly my jails failed and then I lost permissions to read and write on the folder. I logged in as admin and took control. But now I am having issues with the plugins/jails. Plex and transmission aren't working.
BuildFreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sounds like you did more than you think you did. Sounds like a permissions issue but I'm not a guru in that arena.

Bhoot

Patron
Sounds like you did more than you think you did. Sounds like a permissions issue but I'm not a guru in that arena.
I guess the same, but having FreeNAS is so exciting that I couldn't control "trying" till I messed it up.

Next step I am gonna do AFTER ASKING someone is maybe create a new dataset from scratch copy all the data and delete this one.

Steps that I tried already and doesn't seem to work
1 Home Directory Mode: I tried giving other "Write" permission. Everytime I save it resets.
2 Same thing is happening when I try setting permissions for Jails and Dataset
3 I have tried recreating cifs and I am only able to edit the folders thru admin.
4 Transmission and Plex UI can't be opened. says " This webpage is not available"
5 Plex is not detected in Media renderers.

Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

//edit:- The change of permissions is only happening when I select Unix. Under windows its greyed out.

Last edited:

Bhoot

Patron
Also found that my plugins are set to "off" on their own. Not sure how or what did it. I am trying to switch them on without any luck.
I tried installing a few more plugins I think they are getting stuck at (3/4 creating jails) with 50% progress and the blue bar moving showing its not hung. I will just wait and give further updates :(

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You sir have messed things up. I vote to restore factory defaults by using the option under system settings(I'm assuming this is an option since you are still playing around and haven't put real data on this yet). Then if you want post what you want to do and I can try to give you some advice on how to configure everything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
//edit:- The change of permissions is only happening when I select Unix. Under windows its greyed out.

That's expected behavior.

Bhoot

Patron
You sir have messed things up. I vote to restore factory defaults by using the option under system settings(I'm assuming this is an option since you are still playing around and haven't put real data on this yet). Then if you want post what you want to do and I can try to give you some advice on how to configure everything.
Hmmm. Thanks for replies. I have a bit of data on the FreeNAS but I will get it on standby disks that I have. Just need a few days since I am travelling abroad and will be back only after 8-10 days. I hope thats ok with you?

Bhoot

Patron
Might be a noob question, but is there a way to reset the operating system without losing data? I think I already know the answer but there isn't any problem in asking right?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
The best way is just to re-install the OS, the data will be safe during the process ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well, if you have jails running it is possible to screw things up and loose data but it's not typical. If you have data on just your drives in a pool you could just grab another USB flash drive and load it with the FreeNAS OS, save the original boot device just in case it doesn't go as expected, especially if you have data on there that you cannot live without.

Bhoot

Patron
Well, if you have jails running it is possible to screw things up and loose data but <clip>

I thank all of you for the valuable feedback. Yesterday I got a mail from freenas (long and not quite understandable). I started transfering data. Using team viewer to get files from one nas to the other. The IP address is not showing the boot screen on the team viewer. The share is alive and I can access data. Hope I can get all of it out and then I will probably reinstall freenas run only transmission and plex and be happy.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.