I replaced a NIC but now my hostname is incorrect what should I do?

anderstn

Dabbler
Hi

I was having some instability issues with my Freenas server after upgrading. Now I have been using the integrated realtek NIC, but a friend of mine gave me an old Intel NIC after upgrading and I figured why not try it. So i installed the Intel NIC disabled the Realtek NIC in BIOS and booted up. Everything works, but for some reason the DNS name of the server is now suddenly "Intel Corporate". I tried using the manual to understand what could have caused this, but it didn't really give me a clear answer. Sure it had one screen dump somebody made of how you set up an interface, but it didn't make it clear what the connection was between setting up an interface in relation to the settings in your global configuration. Which according to Freenas is just fine on my end. And yeah I tried reapplying said global configuration to no effect. So what do I do to fix this?

PS: I am aware that this is a very basic issue and the solution is probably simple :p

anderstn

Dabbler
Ha nobody had any experience with this? As in not spesifically with Intel, but just generally changing network cards. Alternatively am I a complete idiot and this is all covered in the manual?

D

dlavigne

What makes you think that Intel Corporate is the hostname? Is that the value showing in Network -> Global Configuration -> Hostname? Or, if you're seeing that someplace else, where?

anderstn

Dabbler
The value in the global configuration remains what the old hostname was (so freenas). I can tell however that this is not what's being reported to my router which is serving as my local DNS. Now I temporary fixed this by overriding the DNS tables which works fine enough since the NAS is using a locked DHCP address, but naturally I would prefer it if everything worked as expected :)