I needed it, I built it, But I need a little help getting what I want out of it

Krackster

Dabbler
So many devise's! 5 tv's, 6 cell phones, 2 playstations, 2 xbox's, 4 tablets, 3 gaming pc's, network printer, phone line(fax mostly)....... All these connecting through a comcast modem that currently operating at 1.2Gb/s download - 40Mb/s upload. The modem is connected via 2.5Gb/s to a 8 port multigig 10Gb unmanaged switch (supports 10G, 2.5G, 1G) and a couple of other unmanaged switches and stuff.... Anyway my point being the amount of data these devices produce is out of control so I built a NAS. I will lay out the specs of the server, how the network is laid out and what I need out of it. I am a hardware guy I can put anything together and make it work I am also a single device user meaning I am used to single device storage. I have learned some of the basics and I like the Truenas platform. Storage is priority 1, speed is priority 2 and priority 3.... If you all can help me speed this up, my wife will not hate me so much, she has already bloodied my nose once over the time and money I have put into this childish need of mine...

1 a service for tablet, cell phone data and services
2 suggestions on a more robust and protected wifi system (currently using the modem wifi)
3 any configuration tips, things I may have overlooked
4 ISCSI drives for steam Libraries (1 for each of the 3 gaming rigs, my gaming rig is also the server management console)

Truenas Scale server build:

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G Processor
Asrock X470D4U2-2T motherboard (dual 10g nic, IPMI, PCIE bifurcation,
128GB (4x32) ECC UDIMM DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 Memory
16 - Micron server grade 2TB ssd's (2 x 7 ssd raidz2 vdev's, 17.21 TB total, 2 Hot Spares)
2 - Solidigm 2TB NVME's (Mirrored Pool PCIE slotted 4x4x 2TB TOTAL pool)
2 - Intel 120GB SSD's in Mirrored (OPSYS)

M.2 slot 1 (Gen 3x2 16Gb) - ASM1166 6Gbps Ph516 6 Port Expansion Interface Card with Smart Indicator Gen3x2
M.2 slot 2 (Gen 2x4 20Gb) - ASM1166 6Gbps Ph516 6 Port Expansion Interface Card with Smart Indicator Gen3x2
Motherboard 6 sata III Ports
Total sata ports 18
3 - Icydock 6 bay hot swappable SSD drive caddies, total 18 hot swap bays
Thermaltake 600 Watt power supply
Rack mount chassis
This server test data: idol load 40 watts +/-, max load 110 watts +/- , idol temp 32c, max temp 80c

This file server and my lab server both have dual 10g nics conectted to the network the 3 gaming rigs als have 10g connection to the network
as I am just a basic user all of my network equipment is unmanaged, everthing is Rj45 cat6 (however there are 12 wall drops that are dual cat 5e the longest being 60 feet) future plans to upgrade the wiring is in the works...

There are 2 NVME 2gb drives in a mirror format for VM use but no VM's are configured at this time

Before anyone rips me up on this I did test this configuration with a LSI 12gig 16i expansion card yes the LSI card performed better than M.2 cards not by much though, but the power consumption difference is HUGE! with the LSI card average idol of 65 watts and max load 160 watts. The over all temp in the server case was also significantly higher.

I have been testing this build for a couple of months and finally took it off the test bench and put it in a server case and mounted it.

Is cloud the way to go for the phones and tablets?
Is there any other services that I do not know about that I should be running.

One of the keyboard warriors out there told me I need to learn what I am doing before coming in here asking questions. I have spent the last six months stuffing my brain, not to mention the expense, with info. I have done as asked. I believe I have earned the right to ask for help.

It is a great day, thanks for your support, kelly

Attachments

• CrystalDiskMark_4-20-2023 ISCSI.png
    CrystalDiskMark_4-20-2023 ISCSI.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230418_214011.jpg
    20230418_214011.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230420_081424.jpg
    20230420_081424.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 76

Krackster

Dabbler
So many devise's! 5 tv's, 6 cell phones, 2 playstations, 2 xbox's, 4 tablets, 3 gaming pc's, network printer, phone line(fax mostly)....... All these connecting through a comcast modem that currently operating at 1.2Gb/s download - 40Mb/s upload. The modem is connected via 2.5Gb/s to a 8 port multigig 10Gb unmanaged switch (supports 10G, 2.5G, 1G) and a couple of other unmanaged switches and stuff.... Anyway my point being the amount of data these devices produce is out of control so I built a NAS. I will lay out the specs of the server, how the network is laid out and what I need out of it. I am a hardware guy I can put anything together and make it work I am also a single device user meaning I am used to single device storage. I have learned some of the basics and I like the Truenas platform. Storage is priority 1, speed is priority 2 and priority 3.... If you all can help me speed this up, my wife will not hate me so much, she has already bloodied my nose once over the time and money I have put into this childish need of mine...

1 a service for tablet, cell phone data and services
2 suggestions on a more robust and protected wifi system (currently using the modem wifi)
3 any configuration tips, things I may have overlooked
4 ISCSI drives for steam Libraries (1 for each of the 3 gaming rigs, my gaming rig is also the server management console)

Truenas Scale server build:

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G Processor
Asrock X470D4U2-2T motherboard (dual 10g nic, IPMI, PCIE bifurcation,
128GB (4x32) ECC UDIMM DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 Memory
16 - Micron server grade 2TB ssd's (2 x 7 ssd raidz2 vdev's, 17.21 TB total, 2 Hot Spares)
2 - Solidigm 2TB NVME's (Mirrored Pool PCIE slotted 4x4x 2TB TOTAL pool)
2 - Intel 120GB SSD's in Mirrored (OPSYS)

M.2 slot 1 (Gen 3x2 16Gb) - ASM1166 6Gbps Ph516 6 Port Expansion Interface Card with Smart Indicator Gen3x2
M.2 slot 2 (Gen 2x4 20Gb) - ASM1166 6Gbps Ph516 6 Port Expansion Interface Card with Smart Indicator Gen3x2
Motherboard 6 sata III Ports
Total sata ports 18
3 - Icydock 6 bay hot swappable SSD drive caddies, total 18 hot swap bays
Thermaltake 600 Watt power supply
Rack mount chassis
This server test data: idol load 40 watts +/-, max load 110 watts +/- , idol temp 32c, max temp 80c

This file server and my lab server both have dual 10g nics conectted to the network the 3 gaming rigs als have 10g connection to the network
as I am just a basic user all of my network equipment is unmanaged, everthing is Rj45 cat6 (however there are 12 wall drops that are dual cat 5e the longest being 60 feet) future plans to upgrade the wiring is in the works...

There are 2 NVME 2gb drives in a mirror format for VM use but no VM's are configured at this time

Before anyone rips me up on this I did test this configuration with a LSI 12gig 16i expansion card yes the LSI card performed better than M.2 cards not by much though, but the power consumption difference is HUGE! with the LSI card average idol of 65 watts and max load 160 watts. The over all temp in the server case was also significantly higher.

I have been testing this build for a couple of months and finally took it off the test bench and put it in a server case and mounted it.

Is cloud the way to go for the phones and tablets?
Is there any other services that I do not know about that I should be running.

One of the keyboard warriors out there told me I need to learn what I am doing before coming in here asking questions. I have spent the last six months stuffing my brain, not to mention the expense, with info. I have done as asked. I believe I have earned the right to ask for help.

It is a great day, thanks for your support, kelly
Oh and the Crystalmark benchmark is on the ISCSI 3tb harddrive my gaming rig

Davvo

MVP
I'm not clear what you are asking us about since you appear to have everything already set up?

NugentS

MVP
I do wonder about M.2 SATA Expansion Cards. I would have stuck with the LSI card.
I wouldn't have bothered with hot spares either. Either use Z3 or widen the vdevs in Z2. SSd's are reliable in comarison to HDD's

Stuffing your brain and having a plan first is simply to save you money, time, frustration, and getting you the system you want. It's just good planning, we want you to get as much as practical and have a solid setup that doesn't break easily, and if it does you're able to fix it easily.
:smile:

As @Davvo is alluding to, where is your major bottleneck (since your priority is looking for more speed)? It's usage dependent, so we can throw money at making things faster but that could easily overlook the problem.

Nice system by the way.

Last edited:

Krackster

Dabbler
Stuffing your brain and having a plan first is simply to save you money, time, frustration, and getting you the system you want. It's just good planning, we want you to get as much as practical and have a solid setup that doesn't break easily, and if it does you're able to fix it easily.
:smile:

As @Davvo is alluding to, where is your major bottleneck (since your priority is looking for more speed)? It's usage dependent, so we can throw money at making things faster but that could easily overlook the problem.

Nice system by the way.
I guess the speed issue is the steam libraries. Moving data back and forth for minimal lag.

Please don't get me wrong, this whole experience building a network and server has been awesome. The wife, I can deal with her. I am just really excited to get this up and running.

Davvo

MVP

Krackster

Dabbler
I do wonder about M.2 SATA Expansion Cards. I would have stuck with the LSI card.
I wouldn't have bothered with hot spares either. Either use Z3 or widen the vdevs in Z2. SSd's are reliable in comarison to HDD's
Yes the M.2 sata cards. This is a questionable solution for sure. These particular cards are not the port replicators of previous versions ( I bought 2 of the previous versions because they were cheap, that did not work out). The ASM1166 controller allows 6 single port 6Gb/s speed these were a huge difference in speed. As for dependability and endurance, if they fail putting the LSI card back in is my backup solution. The power and temp performance is really good.
Look into nextcloud or owncloud.
Thank you